British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

What do we think of the new Platinum Jubilee coins?

Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 19.26.20.png

Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 19.26.33.png

Doesn't do it for me. I think the design has somewhat fallen between too stools, and is not particularly inspiring. It doesn't look traditional or modern.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sword said:

Doesn't do it for me. I think the design has somewhat fallen between too stools, and is not particularly inspiring. It doesn't look traditional or modern.

must it be traditional or modern? can it not be judged without categorisation? 

Personally speaking, I think it looks mass produced and lacking any character so it leaves me stone cold, …. its bullion and i’d only pay spot for it.

I absolutely agree. Complete rubbish and lacking aesthetics; I wouldn't even pay spot for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Diaconis said:

must it be traditional or modern? can it not be judged without categorisation? 

Personally speaking, I think it looks mass produced and lacking any character so it leaves me stone cold, …. its bullion and i’d only pay spot for it.

I meant it lack the intricacies of the traditional designs which we admire. It doesn't come across as cutting edge or innovative like a good modern design should be.  The reverse is a poor rip off of the William IV half crown. The obverse is a rip off of the 1977 silver jubilee crown.  I won't pay spot for it either. In fact I would much rather own a bullion bar than that coin. 

• Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 5:40 PM, Sword said:

I meant it lack the intricacies of the traditional designs which we admire. It doesn't come across as cutting edge or innovative like a good modern design should be.  The reverse is a poor rip off of the William IV half crown.

I agree - I think the design isn't too bad all things considered but it does have a cartoony look to it.

Flat and boring, no artistic measure to the design, close to being just functional