British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

yaaseen

Advice on splitting proof sets for an album

17 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

In which case you don't mean "mostly" - none of the coins were for circulation.

it slipped my mind yes sorry again - it was by the was the most expensive set £3.75 I think a 50p premium over the rest probably because of the crown

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

it slipped my mind yes sorry again - it was by the was the most expensive set £3.75 I think a 50p premium over the rest probably because of the crown

I'm quite surprised the 72 set isn't worth more than it is, considering the date is only available from the set.

Some 1970 sets sell for a premium as there were two dies used for the OBV on the Florin ,Halfcrown ,Sixpence and Half penny.

The Half penny is hard to find and collectors pay quite a lot more for one ,D of DEI too gap or I of DEI to tooth.

Always worth checking to see if you have one.

272341254_331143378919243_6258632865833343728_n.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154819126000?hash=item240bf062f0:g:GggAAOSwtbxhDoyX

Just to maybe correct my post above and a friends picture.........

This is one D of DEI to gap and now thinking that the other indicator i mentioned is not right ,as the I is clearly not directly to a tooth ,maybe better just looking at DEI to gap only which is the one i was originally told.

Edited by PWA 1967

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154819126000?hash=item240bf062f0:g:GggAAOSwtbxhDoyX

Just to maybe correct my post above and a friends picture.........

This is one D of DEI to gap and now thinking that the other indicator i mentioned is not right ,as the I is clearly not directly to a tooth ,maybe better just looking at DEI to gap only which is the one i was originally told.

Can anyone help me with a clear picture of one please that they can confirm is right. I had one a while ago but never took pictures and now looking at the one that a well known dealer confirmed as being right for sale on eBay when it was for sale previously a couple of weeks ago ,i am again having doubts as the scarce one should have a thin rim ,although that one looks thick 😀

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/GBproofsets.htm

7 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Can anyone help me with a clear picture of one please that they can confirm is right. I had one a while ago but never took pictures and now looking at the one that a well known dealer confirmed as being right for sale on eBay when it was for sale previously a couple of weeks ago ,i am again having doubts as the scarce one should have a thin rim ,although that one looks thick 😀

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/GBproofsets.htm

You’re confusing me now too, Pete!  But the EBay link you give above seems to me to be D of DEI to a tooth, and a thick rim which is right for the common variety. The cropped image you first gave does show the D to a gap, and the rim does seem thick too, though it is difficult to compare on a partial coin image.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

You’re confusing me now too, Pete!  But the EBay link you give above seems to me to be D of DEI to a tooth, and a thick rim which is right for the common variety. The cropped image you first gave does show the D to a gap, and the rim does seem thick too, though it is difficult to compare on a partial coin image.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry and sorted now ,my friend is doing the best thing and sending me one of each in the post when he returns from holiday to compare them in hand.The small picture is how it should be,although didnt have a picture of the full coin why he is away and the eBay one i think maybe due to the light or angle of the picture not one in his opinion.

There's a discussion on the 1970 halfpenny in the thread shown below, should anyone be interested. 

Screenshot_2022-02-03-19-09-50-867.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, the normal halfpenny obverse for 1970 is the Type 2, which first occurs as a scarcity for 1956 then again as the slightly scarcer 1967 type. (I of DEI to a space? Anyway, a wider rim)

I think from the small numbers I've looked at only the halfpenny variety is hard to find.