British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MATTGBC

Help with ID on Shortcross Pennies

I am no expert on short cross, so I hope someone more knowledgeable can help! 

The first coin is from moneyer Ilger on Lvnde, who coined between classes 5b2 and 7b2.  The main features of the coin are more consistent with a class 5 or 6 coin rather than a class 7.  Furthermore, the reverse die appears to be a duplicate of DNW 6/2/13 Lot 48, which is listed as 6b1.  So I would think a reasonable assumption is that your coin is also 6b1?  But I don't know enough about mules within the short cross series to know how likely it is that this reverse die was used either before or after 6b1.

The second coin is a challenge.  The coin has turned in the dies during striking, and this has obscured much of the detail e.g. the 'mouth' is a combination of the actual mouth and a reverse die pellet; a portion of HENRICVS appears on the reverse of the coin, and at least one eye has also been combined with a reverse die pellet.  However, I think the majority of the moneyer's  name has been transferred to the obverse, and when taken in combination with the reverse this shows that (IMO) it is another Ilger coin.  Beyond that, all I can offer is that this probably isn't class 7 as there are clear stops in the reverse legend, but the bust's problems, coupled with lack of other defining detail makes assignment to a class 5 or 6 subclass very difficult (for me anyway).

I hope you get more input.  It is always good to give a coin a definite classification.