British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Zo Arms

Machins Mills halfpenny ID.

This coin came amongst a job lot a few weeks ago, together with a couple of others of a similar date. 1770's.

A Google search bought up a site called:

Novanumismatics.com. 

They have an interesting article on Machin's coin production in New York, with Vlack numbers. If I've identified correctly, this is a Vlack 20 - 87c. Sheldon R7.  4 - 12 known.

Would someone be able to confirm or deny please.

WP_20220104_20_24_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20220104_20_25_13_Pro.jpg

Given the die break between V and S I would say 19 87c see https://coins.ha.com/itm/colonials/1787-1-2-p-georgivs-iii-machin-s-mills-halfpenny-vlack-19-87c-w-7940-r2-au58-ngc/a/1260-15042.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

• Thanks 1

NICE FIND!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooneydog said:

Given the die break between V and S I would say 19 87c see https://coins.ha.com/itm/colonials/1787-1-2-p-georgivs-iii-machin-s-mills-halfpenny-vlack-19-87c-w-7940-r2-au58-ngc/a/1260-15042.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Thanks for the Heritage info. I'd go along with your identification using the die break. Some excellent realised prices even on the lower grades like mine.

I'm a stone's throw from Portsmouth and Southampton so it could possibly have entered the country through one of those docks.

I'll post the others on this thread just in case there's anything else worthy of note.

Just now, Zo Arms said:

Thanks for the Heritage info. I'd go along with your identification using the die break. Some excellent realised prices even on the lower grades like mine.

I'm a stone's throw from Portsmouth and Southampton so it could possibly have entered the country through one of those docks.

I'll post the others on this thread just in case there's anything else worthy of note.

I like the idea of it coming in through the docks. These turn up a surprising amount in Britain, a lot of people crossing the Atlantic for reasons good and bad in the period. 

I found something similar on anglesey - I imagine it came though via liverpool