British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sword

Coins for 70th Jubilee

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-59772837

The centre one's not too bad.

• Like 1

True, but not nearly as nice as the 1834 halfcrown design though. The Alexander Graham Bell two pound looks quite good. 

• Like 1

I strongly think the 1953 plastics sets might fetch an extra £5 this time next year - I could be wrong though....

On 12/31/2021 at 7:40 PM, copper123 said:

I strongly think the 1953 plastics sets might fetch an extra £5 this time next year - I could be wrong though....

You mean double in price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Throw another lentil into the stewpot mother for tonight we live like kings!

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

A nice plastic set will fetch £8 - £10

12 hours ago, copper123 said:

A nice plastic set will fetch £8 - £10

About the same as they sold for in 1969!

• Like 2

Truth is a lot got opened in the fifties and spent

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

Truth is a lot got opened in the fifties and spent

Yes - the only 1950s penny I found as a schoolboy was a VF 1953. It could only have come from a plastic set. Having said that, over a million were issued so there must still be quite large number around. The real mystery is why they were valued so highly in the late 60s. Mind you, that was also true of all 1953 issues back then - yes, I know it was a one-year obverse, but it was also the first year of the reign so many were put aside and survived in UNC.

Those were hard times in the fifties

21 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

If you bought a plastic set in 1969  you could probably buy  60 packets of ten cigs

Now you are lucky to get 20 cigs for a plastic set - pretty poor investment really .

21 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I am shocked. £10 in 1969 is £168 in 2020 when inflation adjusted. It's hard to believe anyone would want to pay so much for a Ni-Cu currency set in a plastic case.

2 hours ago, Sword said:

I am shocked. £10 in 1969 is £168 in 2020 when inflation adjusted. It's hard to believe anyone would want to pay so much for a Ni-Cu currency set in a plastic case.

There again, the blue '1st decimal' wallet sold for... ?6/-? (30p). They now struggle to make £1 !

30p in 1971 is only £4.33 in 2020 and so not nearly so bad. Modern currency sets (particularly in bad packaging) have no hope in ever becoming collector's items. 

24 minutes ago, Sword said:

30p in 1971 is only £4.33 in 2020 and so not nearly so bad. Modern currency sets (particularly in bad packaging) have no hope in ever becoming collector's items. 

like churchill crowns

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

There again, the blue '1st decimal' wallet sold for... ?6/-? (30p). They now struggle to make £1 !

they might be a potential riser as well......

8 hours ago, copper123 said:

like churchill crowns

Quite. But Churchill crowns would have considerable potential if a proof was issued in silver with a mintage of less than 50,000.  I personally think the portrait is OK if it wasn't for the tasteless and in your face CHURCHILL legend. It would be nice if the Royal Mint would consider making a better attempt instead of making more coins on rabbits, diasaours and Gruffaloes. 

• Like 2

Even having this open conversation about it _proves_ that there is no investment opportunity here.

As soon as everyone is doing something, the trend is over.

People make money through  'investments' by selling/promoting them, and fooling people into thinking that 

the 'investment' is a good one. Nearly all ideas pushed like this are bad, but not as bad as the bad stuff, so look the best to people.

It only then need a small push in marketing to make them seem positively _good_.

So many people crow in a pub about how much their house is worth, but often, when calculated, taking into account interest, repairs etc,

they all have gone backwards. It's cost you to live there.  The unique fact about houses is you can compare that figure to what you would have spent in rent,

and it's worth doing because you have to live somewhere....

Personal pensions are a good idea merely because some money exists at the end, rather than having been frittered away.

Once again, the pension companies take a big whack. You don't actually profit. You were just forced to change your behaviour.

If you do the same with the concept of having bought a coin a month instead of having a pension.

it's easy to find coins that have lost in real terms over 30 years.

Mainly the 'rare' ones that everyone knows.  There's the rub- 'everyone knows'.....to make future genuine profit,

takes calculated risk. You hunt down future rarities- what will suddenly become the new variety to look for, before everyone else is.

People can't / don't want to take calculated risks with their money, so they pay other people to do it.

The other people are therefore the only ones making anything.

You don't need coins to live, but to get more than just enjoyment from collecting, i.e.  getting a future return requires canny thought,

which nearly always, first up, involves ignoring ALL 'pushed' product.   The people selling such coins are the ONLY ones making money out of it.

Every time I get an offer of future riches from someone who wants me to join them in some scheme or other, I always ask them why they don't just do it quietly on their own,

and keep all the profit, rather than giving some away.

Moral?   Find your _own_ future rarities at the bottom of a tin of cheap coins.  I haven't spent 10% of my collection's current value to obtain it.

That'll do, and I have the fun and satisfaction of the hunt as well, which you don't get from paying other people large markups to sell you heavily advertised stuff.

I could sell all my audio gear I've collected over 30+ years, and make a killing. This would knacker up my future earnings.

If I did that, and I bought loads and loads of coins from the RM or LCA for example, for sure I could do some glorious posting

of the 'look what I've got' variety,  but in the long run I'd have a bleaker retirement.

If that's what you enjoy, and you find it keeps you sane and happy, and you can afford it,  then fine.   Do it.

I know that me drinking different expensive beers and whiskies, and eating different expensive cheeses,  ain't gonna make me rich in the future, but I still do it....

"It's a penny for your thoughts, but you have to put your 2¢ in.     ............  Some guy's making a penny."    - Steven Wright.

• Like 1

I think you have really dissed the probable best way of saving for old age which is either a personal or works pension , this is really the best way to get a decent return for yourself and help yourself in your old age .

Remember the tax relief on contributions which is very generous and also the 25% tax free lump sum bonus at 55 or older.

To me the only bad thing about pensions is that you have your best years behind you when you begin to enjoy the defered wages from your youth , which is what a pension is anyway.

I am certainly glad I saved for many years mostly in the eighties and nineties .

The small amount I saved in the noughties and later have not amounted to much as they have not had time enough to grow.

Pension cash beats any saving (Or so called investing)  hands down.

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

Yes, when you look at my parents- middle management and a headteacher- £40k a year coming in when they were both 92....!

By the time I was starting a private pension, in the early 90's, that beano by the 'Golden Generation' was well and truly over.

Now it's bizarre ancient history.

Young people now are often advised not to get a pension what are they supposed to do then?

How that's going to work out when half the population will be over 65 in a few years time is anyone's guess.....

My pension is a molehill of beans.

• Like 1

Will I ever get to take my pension with the various Governments pushing back both private and state pension ages....

• Like 1

I just like the silence that results just after pointing out the King's lack of clothes.....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Yes, when you look at my parents- middle management and a headteacher- £40k a year coming in when they were both 92....!

By the time I was starting a private pension, in the early 90's, that beano by the 'Golden Generation' was well and truly over.

£40 000 a year at 92 ?

My god what did they spend it all on ? Most folks of that era lived quite frugally as they lived  through the war years - bet they had a lovely garden and nice holidays !!

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

My god what did they spend it all on ? Most folks of that era lived quite frugally as they lived  through the war years - bet they had a lovely garden and nice holidays !!

Exactly!!  When we cleared the house, we found fifteen potato peelers in the kitchen!! 

I mean the utensils, not hired staff:-)

• Haha 4