British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

richardbuick

William & Mary 1689 Half Crown with error in GVLIELMVS

I've come back to collecting early milled coins after a break of a few years. I have a very nice 1989 William & Mary Half Crown with a couple of errors. The one that interests me, is the error in the spelling of GVLIELMVS where the E has its top missing. This is listed in my only Spinks catalogue of 2006 on page 328 but does not appear in the latest edition as confirmed by a friend ( I don't have a recent Spinks) Anyone got any thoughts on this please?

William 1.jpg

• Like 1

I don't usually get into errors of this sort, but I can confirm it is not mentioned in my 2018 Spink. No idea when it dropped out.

I also checked my copy of ESC - 6th edition 2015 - and it is not mentioned there as far as I can see. Not sure if it was just regarded as die-fill and so not worthy of a separate mention?

• Like 1

I would think die-fill most likely as I can see a ghosting of that missing upper horizontal.