British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Uncooperative ebay seller of cast copies

There's a seller on ebay - daviddexter1, who is selling a copy of the Charles I F3/1 shilling I wrote about in the Circular 10 years or so ago. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275070559449?hash=item400b7ba4d9:g:tycAAOSwQ8thvp0B

He's also selling an Elizabeth I shilling which is the cast copy of the holed first issue shilling, i.e. with the pierced hole filled in!! Bleeding obvious to all and sundry except ebay buyers. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275070567171?hash=item400b7bc303:g:hRkAAOSwjChhvqFn

Can we have as many people report this as possible, as his get out is that people can always return it if they aren't happy. I suggested that knowingly selling a fake as the genuine article was attempted fraud. We shall see what happens.

For future viewers, the first item is another copy of the attached. Obviously cast, the degree of pitting varies, so is not a specific identifier. The original coin has a wavy flan, which when an impression of each side was taken, meant that below the bust the coin didn't extend to the edge, leaving a 'laminated' V-shaped notch when the two sides were joined together. This is specific to the copies. A close up of the area is in the second image. Third and fourth images should convince disbelievers that they really are copies.

sold for 58 eBay Jul 2010 (2).jpg

identifier close-up.jpg

R Dawes bt at 51 eBay Jun 2010 (3).jpg

D Holt 4.30g (2).jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

one might think that he’s making, or having the casts made. These dont seem common. I wonder who now holds the originals?

Both fakes reported.

Jerry

2 hours ago, Diaconis said:

one might think that he’s making, or having the casts made. These dont seem common. I wonder who now holds the originals?

I've got the F3/1 which I acquired in 2004. It rings right compared to the dull clunk of the casts and is as the copies except that the sharper detail is narrower in profile as one would expect compared to a cast copy. I didn't bother putting the genuine piece up as it won't help given the profile is the same for the copies. There were quite a lot doing the rounds 10-15 years ago. It was Richard who first alerted us as he questioned whether I had sold the coin which was then on the website - which I hadn't. After that I took it down and kept it.  Both this one and the Elizabeth have been mentioned on this forum previously. A mm plume shilling with C R over the oblong shield is another widely available copy. 

I know who has the original Edward I cl. 9b of Newcastle too, which was around at the same time. Others copies include a 1713 Anne halfcrown. Somewhere there is a thread with a few listed.

• Like 1

It would help if Ebay followed their own guidelines on fakes, reproductions etc. ie they should be marked as such.  Anything else is a deliberate attempt to defraud 

On 12/22/2021 at 9:26 PM, ozjohn said:

It would help if Ebay followed their own guidelines on fakes, reproductions etc. ie they should be marked as such.  Anything else is a deliberate attempt to defraud 

Well, given that eBay tolerates sellers, who only sell fakes, knowingly sell fakes as a business and lie about selling fakes explicitly...there's not much chance of that. 

I'm not sure all reproductions should be marked as such...fair enough maybe on fake gothic crowns or something, but there are ancient and medieval coins which people have thought to be fake for a long time and then changed their mind on...would be a bit awkward to have stamped something on it ! Better to have a photo-database of fakes which eBay staff could be referred to and use to remove listings of the most common fakes.