British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Ecgberht Penny, North 589

I have bought this coin for my own collection and it has arrived today. Having spent quite a lot of money on it, I am concerned to get views as to whether it is genuine? Any comments, for and against, would be welcome.

Ecgberht D N589 1-side.JPG

• Like 1

Just had this back from the auction house - over night response, which was brilliant.

Link to the Portable Antiquities website showing the report on its find and authenticity:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/966481

... so repaired but genuine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

Just had this back from the auction house - over night response, which was brilliant.

Link to the Portable Antiquities website showing the report on its find and authenticity:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/966481

... so repaired but genuine.

As I don't collect hammered, is the repair acceptable or would it have been better left? 

Personally I prefer it repaired. A split coin, as well as unattractive, is difficult to store without the pieces constantly slipping. With coins of this age I am happy to have a decent example clearly displaying the monarch's name, and to have it at an affordable price when so many are now out of my reach.

• Like 2

I think it looks better repaired too, and it appears to have been done quite nicely. :)

• Like 2

It looks to me to have been annealed and straightened, with a very satisfactory result. 

Jerry

• Like 2

Other reference numbers

Other reference: IOW2019-7-283

Might this have been found on the Isle of Wight?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Other reference numbers

Other reference: IOW2019-7-283

Might this have been found on the Isle of Wight?

... and in July 2019! Well spotted.