British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

1786 2d, E over H in ET

you sure it's H ? Couldn't it be an upside down E ?

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

you sure it's H ? Couldn't it be an upside down E ?

Could be, I suppose. I was going off what I could see in hand, and the little lump to the left of the E vertical isn't blindingly obvious. The small protrusion below the lower bar of the E, made me conclude it was an H. HIB follows ET, so H instead of E would simply mean the engraver forgot about the ET.

• Like 1

Having looked at this more than a few times, I can't see any trace of either top or bottom arm corresponding to an E so will stick with H. A reasonable question though given the small lump in the image, and the upside down B on the other 2d reverse die. Given the date is 1786 in both instances, it may have been the same engraver responsible for both dies. People are creatures of habit.

We could of course compromise and say E over inverted E or H.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

What about the V for A in MAG?

On 12/10/2021 at 8:37 PM, azda said:

What about the V for A in MAG?

That looks filled in hand. The inside edges of the V are not straight, but 'ragged' about half way along - consistent with the A crossbar position.

• Like 1