British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

I'm not religious, but......

Built between 1733-46

IMG_4788.jpeg

• Like 6

The art inside churches and cathedrals is often breathtakingly stunning. Here are some "modern" interiors for comparison.

Edited by Sword

The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin has a most unique interior. You feel like sitting inside a glass bottle.

1 - Copy.JPG

• Like 4

This is Gaudi's cathedral in Barcelona.

421991532_2-Copy.jpg.6848f29ff977bc945c8d74c343d1e72a.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sword said:

The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin has a most unique interior. You feel like sitting inside a glass bottle.

1 - Copy.JPG

A bottle filled with Spirit, mines a large one.

• Haha 2

There's no doubt about it, the insides of some churches are absolutely stunning.

St Giles, Cheadle,   and Whitley Court chapel are really worth a look too.

Chartres is just beautiful.

Mind you Cologne Cathedral makes me have trouble breathing....

On 12/5/2021 at 4:06 PM, azda said:

Had a wee wander around town today and came across this church. I've passed it a few times but never went inside, what awaited inside was something else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asam_Church,_Munich

IMG_4783.jpeg

Wow. The  last time I saw anything like that was in Vienna:

bigstock-Vienna-Austria-May-235471828.jp

• Like 4

On four visits now I've stood inside St Mark's in Venice and, every time, have been overwhelmed by the beauty of my surroundings.

Old places of worship: y'can't beat 'em.

Should anyone on here find themselves in the vicinity I recommend Liverpool's Anglican cathedral. Even us Irish Catholics have to admit the building is astonishingly beautiful. 70 years to build, and every stone carved by hand.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael-Roo said:

Should anyone on here find themselves in the vicinity I recommend Liverpool's Anglican cathedral. Even us Irish Catholics have to grudgingly admit the building is astonishingly beautiful. 70 years to build, and every stone carved by hand.

Every Xmas we went to the carol service  there - many of the carols were medieval things, not your average usual stuff. That cathedral is MASSIVE ( <-- note correct use of word :lol:) inside.

I've attended lots of recitals and performances in the Lady Chapel, a programme of Tallis being particularly memorable. The acoustics are wonderful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

Should anyone on here find themselves in the vicinity I recommend Liverpool's Anglican cathedral. Even us Irish Catholics have to admit the building is astonishingly beautiful. 70 years to build, and every stone carved by hand.

But, Paddy's Wigwam notwithstanding, remarkably modern. Strange that an 'old' city such as Liverpool should have 2 modern cathedrals. Most places have to make do with some medieval edifice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rob said:

But, Paddy's Wigwam notwithstanding, remarkably modern. Strange that an 'old' city such as Liverpool should have 2 modern cathedrals. Most places have to make do with some medieval edifice.

And Manchester's cathedral is... ?

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

And Manchester's cathedral is... ?

It was started in 1421, so late medieval originally, but modified and extended several times. For all the extensions, it is still a bit of a Wendy House compared to most cathedrals, due to the fact it doesn't have such a high vaulted ceiling as per the traditional style. It always feels less imposing internally than it should.

Edited by Rob

I couldn't resist posting photos on one more church I visited when in holiday in Rome. It's the church of the Jesuits. I was walking back to the hotel in the dark and decided to drop in for a quick look. Was taken back by the beauty, splendour and size of the interior. 

280535663_1(1)-Copy.thumb.JPG.c398d9001d053bde3eaf07d7849cb038.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rob said:

It was started in 1421, so late medieval originally, but modified and extended several times. For all the extensions, it is still a bit of a Wendy House compared to most cathedrals, due to the fact it doesn't have such a high vaulted ceiling as per the traditional style. It always feels less imposing internally than it should.

Well, not exactly. It was a parish church until 1847 when the Diocese was formed in readiness for city status in 1853. Liverpool didn't become a city until 1880 and obviously decided to build an actual cathedral rather than designating a parish church as such.

If all the money spent on art was give to the poor of this world there would probably be little absolute poverty.

There would be few rich artists as well .

There again all the worlds ills are not all caused by religion , only 50% the rest is caused by politics or absolute rulers.