British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
oldcopper

Hlafpenny Flan?

It will tend to flatten out with the strike but it is curious how much detail is showing in the devices. No weight listed....

As much as we. pound on this point, weights are frequently left out on slabs and else wise and catalogue listings...

Edited by VickySilver
correction

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

It will tend to flatten out with the strike but it is curious how much detail is showing in the devices. No weight listed....

As much as we. pound on this point, weights are frequently left out on slabs and else wise and catalogue listings...

There's no weakness whatsoever at the periphery, nor is there any indication of metal flow. A bun head halfpenny superimposed on a penny would cover from the rim at 12 o'clock to the exergue line, whilst a copper halfpenny covers the area seen. However, I can't see the mint having spare 29mm copper blanks lying around in 1877 (unless for a late strike proof halfpenny). The closest in size would be a florin.  i.e. I'm not convinced that's a halfpenny flan.

We therefore have to consider the alternatives. Anyone familiar with colonial issues that could match the size seen? A third option could be a TPG error - a regular penny inadvertently slabbed in a halfpenny holder, with the missing bits hidden in a polymer sandwich :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Rob said:

We therefore have to consider the alternatives. Anyone familiar with colonial issues that could match the size seen? A third option could be a TPG error - a regular penny inadvertently slabbed in a halfpenny holder, with the missing bits hidden in a polymer sandwich :ph34r:

That's more likely - maybe Guyana or Cypress?

I didn't hunt down a bigger picture but I can't see fishtailing on the letters which is supposed to confirm an undersize planchet I thought.

7 hours ago, Mr T said:

That's more likely - maybe Guyana or Cypress?

Too early for Cyprus or Straits Settlements and British Honduras is what I was thinking of when I wrote Guyana, but the British Honduras cent was copper and 29mm - I think there is probably more than 2mm missing there.

Usual TPG crap.

5mm-6mm difference - I think it probably is a halfpenny planchet.

Watched the auction today on my phone. Muted by auctioneer. This lot didn't get an airing.

Anyone in the room able to say what happened to it?

10 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Which lot ?

Sorry. The coin in the link at the start of this thread. I was interested in the 1878 halfpenny, a few lots further on. The above lot was skipped over. But without audio, I never heard why.

I bid live with the video on, but didn't win anything :(

I don't know what happened to that particular lot.