British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Paypal vs Credit Card

This is now the third time in recent months that I've bought from the same very good e bay seller. A real quality item at below book price. He offers economy postage @ £2.75, and on the previous two occasions I've asked if he could possibly send via next day tracked, and I'd happily make up the difference. But he sent them next day tracked, with no additional charge. I'm hoping he will do so again, if I ask nicely. 

I'm no expert on charges from the seller's point of view, but would I be correct in assuming that if I elected to pay by credit card rather than paypal, the seller would gain via avoidance of paypal charges? I've no idea whether he'd get a separate charge from my use of a credit card.

Thanks in advance.    

According to my experience, paypal usually charge a higher rate, but it still depends on what platform the seller is using to accept credit card.  Some are higher and some are less.  Take Shopify as example, it is usually a bit less expensive than paypal, but the difference won't be too much.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

According to my experience, paypal usually charge a higher rate, but it still depends on what platform the seller is using to accept credit card.  Some are higher and some are less.  Take Shopify as example, it is usually a bit less expensive than paypal, but the difference won't be too much.  

Thanks a lot, Bruce. Useful info.

Most are a bit cheaper than Paypal, but there isn't much between any of them. Paypal however are less conventional when acting as a banker, being prone to holding on to your money at their discretion.

Some of you may remember I fell out with PP in 2007 and received compensation when I took the case to the ombudsman for that reason. Wind the clock forward 14 years and it seems not much has changed. To make things easier for an international customer a couple weeks ago, I said he could use the wife's account to transfer the money (as he had done 3 years ago) rather than set up a bank transfer. Paypal are now holding the money indefinitely until they are satisfied it is legitimate. How they propose to do this is not explained. I can feel another Soho pattern coming on. 

I've never had a problem with a credit card payment. If only for that reason, people could consider prioritising payment by card over Paypal because there more people to consider than just the buyer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rob said:

Most are a bit cheaper than Paypal, but there isn't much between any of them. Paypal however are less conventional when acting as a banker, being prone to holding on to your money at their discretion.

Some of you may remember I fell out with PP in 2007 and received compensation when I took the case to the ombudsman for that reason. Wind the clock forward 14 years and it seems not much has changed. To make things easier for an international customer a couple weeks ago, I said he could use the wife's account to transfer the money (as he had done 3 years ago) rather than set up a bank transfer. Paypal are now holding the money indefinitely until they are satisfied it is legitimate. How they propose to do this is not explained. I can feel another Soho pattern coming on. 

I've never had a problem with a credit card payment. If only for that reason, people could consider prioritising payment by card over Paypal because there more people to consider than just the buyer.

What, the money of your international customer?

I know paypal is convenient, but like you, I'm not particularly keen on them, after a negative experience in 2018.

For my latest purchase I did pay by credit card which the buyer thanked me for and assured a delivery by next day tracked. On its way.  

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

What, the money of your international customer?

I know paypal is convenient, but like you, I'm not particularly keen on them, after a negative experience in 2018.

Yep. I sold a pump to Hungary and there's about 6 or 700 quid involved. Three years ago ago I sold a similar item to the same business and there wasn't an issue - hence my willingness to offer the same payment route. However, after this I can safely say I won't be looking to help others over myself, so it will be bank transfer only.

The fundamental problem with Paypal is that all lines of communication are directed to the waste bin. Until you get to a position where you can take a problem to the ombudsman (and bear in mind you have to give the other party 3 months to sort it out after giving notice of intention to refer), all communications are ignored in the hope you will go away. Last time, I sent a courtesy email to notify them I had sent off the file to the ombudsman in the absence of any meaningful discussion or resolution and for the first time in just over 50 emails I had a phone call (international) within 10 minutes accusing me of not trying to resolve the issue. I pointed out that reading just a handful of the emails would show I had tried. 10 minutes after that I had a second call indicating my money had been transferred (to the same 'dodgy' account of mine that had been blocked for over 6 months), and they also wished to make an ex-gratia payment (because if the ombudsman has to investigate, they incur a charge of a few hundred pounds whatever the outcome). i.e. they had done absolutely nothing in the interim to identify the 'problem', whatever it was.

The sad thing is that all I wanted was a functioning payments system with the ability to resolve issues as and when they arose. Attached is what the compensation bought.

P1258.jpg

• Like 3