British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

secret santa

1992 £1 error with Flax reverse

Whilst filing away some old £1 coins today, I found a 1992 £1 with the Irish Flax reverse. The correct reverse for 1992 is recorded as English Oak. Is this likely to be a forgery ?

Yes - likely to be a forgery. Getting the wrong design for a date was common amongst the forgeries. A picture would confirm it.

• Like 1

They vary enormously. The wrong design for the date is often the biggest. Pics of the edge would be useful too as incorrect or blundered edge lettering is also common in the errors. Weight will usually be right. (If the forgers get that wrong the coin would fail any coin operated machine.) Colour is often odd and gets odder with age as it tarnishes differently from the real thing. Alignment may also be wrong - the genuine item is struck in one go so misaligned obverse and reverse would be almost impossible, but on the fakes, quite likely.

Forgeries often look soft and a bit blurred. But a deliberate use of the "wrong" reverse design is the biggest factor.

As well as the mismatched date/reverse, the portrait of the queen is unreasonably blurry and the rim looks too wide and uneven. How does the edge look?

• Like 1

There were hundreds of 000s of £1 forgeries around before they changed the design. I found a few but didn't bother to keep them.

11 hours ago, secret santa said:

I wonder if there's a market for them, tapping into the nostalgia/curiosity ?

On my market stall, I have occasionally sold one or two to collectors of these things, but as yet the maximum they will give is.... £1!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, secret santa said:

I wonder if there's a market for them, tapping into the nostalgia/curiosity ?

It would have to be a black market? Those things are illegal!