British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sylvester

Your Favourite...

...British coin denomination? And why?

I'd have to say the two shilling piece myself. Some of the best and most innovative designs of the entire UK coinage were on florins.

The Godless

The Gothic

Victoria Old Head

Edward VII

All had stunning reverses.

That is a very good question. Hmm...

I would say the Vicky Farthing, but I am not entierly sure why I like them. They do look very nice in BUFL condition.

But if they were a little cheaper, I would say the Mary Fine Sovereign as they look wonderful. :)

What i meant JMD is what denomination as a whole?

I expected you to go for farthings though, mind you i was brought up on them.

What i meant JMD is what denomination as a whole?

As a whole, yes, farthings :)

It has to be the half crown. They're chunky and tactile and I have fond memories of spending them. Those of George IV and William IV have such splendid reverses and the size really does justice to obverse portraits.

G

They're chunky and tactile and I have fond memories of spending them.  Those of George IV and William IV have such splendid reverses and the size really does justice to obverse portraits.

Size, in my opinion, is probably the only thing which lets the farthing down. But, I think that the size of the farthing gives it its adorability.

George IV and William IV half crowns are very nice indeed, I may be tempted to do a set of these myself one day...

Edited by Master Jmd

I like the two pound coins... a modern half crown perhaps :)

Size, in my opinion, is probably the only thing which lets the farthing down. But, I think that the size of the farthing gives it its adorability.

I disagree i think the size is just right on the farthing, it's why i like them alot more than say pennies... pennies are just too big for my tastes. Decimal pennies are preferable.

I find medium is the best size for most things.

I like the darkened farthings 1897-1918, especially with full lustre.

If I go by numbers it would probably be the halfpenny, I have over 2700 of them. Elsewise it would be the penny which I have about 1800 of.

If I go by numbers it would probably be the halfpenny, I have over 2700 of them. Elsewise it would be the penny which I have about 1800 of.

I've got a few thousand pennies...

... i really must take them to the bank sometime! :D

2700 halfpennies is quite impressive though, i'm guessing they date from Victoria to Liz II, what's the longest run of dates you've got without a gap?

I have about 100 silver Washington quarters only a few dates are missing. And the majority of the left overs are 1963/4 dates.

Guest Peter_I'm_a_Guest

My fave is the George V florin (2 shilling piece) with the cruciform scepters ( don't think that I have spelt scepters right - looks wrong!) 'cos I used to go into shops (before decimalisation in 1971) and ask the shop assistant if they would swap my 'modern' florins and half crowns for any George V ones! They must have thought that I was a very odd kid - they were right!

The florins have a nice uncluttered design which goes back to Charles II and I still like them.

Peter.

My fave is the George V florin (2 shilling piece) with the cruciform scepters ( don't think that I have spelt scepters right - looks wrong!) 'cos I used to go into shops (before decimalisation in 1971) and ask the shop assistant if they would swap my 'modern' florins and half crowns for any George V ones! They must have thought that I was a very odd kid - they were right!

The florins have a nice uncluttered design which goes back to Charles II and I still like them.

Peter.

Another reason why i like florins, only predecimal coins i ever spent (legally). ;)

I think i may have passed some old shillings of as old five pences which was perfectly legal, unfortunately i didn't find out that shillings had still been legal tender in 1990 until 1992. :rolleyes: (So i'd been hoarding alot and disposing of the odd one on the quiet).

If i had have known better then i could have got shut of alot of shillings too, but i don't ever remember getting any shillings in change during the late eighties so i thought they were no longer legal tender.

As for George V florins, i've had exactly one in change.

2700 halfpennies is quite impressive though, i'm guessing they date from Victoria to Liz II, what's the longest run of dates you've got without a gap?

I know I have 1920 on up complete. They are spotty back to the 1860's. I purchased 1500 of the halfpennies in one eBay purchase once. I like Pre-decimal British coins. At one time when I was in High School I more or less was responsible for paying my younger siblings allowances, they were paid in pennies, shillings etc, which they could later convert to spendable cash.

£SD are my drug of choice:)

I'm sure many remember pretending to be a shopkeeper/customer as a child.

My cousins and i used to act out these roles (helped us figure money out!) Practical mathematics i'd call it. Sure we used decimal coins. The old five pences came in handy for that, they hadn't been out of circulation long at the time.

But we also used to do it in predecimal. Caused a bit of confusion, i eventually got the hang of it!

LSD :o

LSD :o

No no no, that is £SD :D It has longer lasting effects and is not harmful to body and spirit(at least as long as I don't hae to heft it that is.

No no no, that is £SD :D It has longer lasting effects and is not harmful to body and spirit(at least as long as I don't hae to heft it that is.

There's a difference between £SD and LSD? ;)

There's a difference between £SD and LSD? ;)

I think £SD have the same effect on me, but is rather less harmful in the health outlook longterm. In fact be known that it is probably beneficial, appreciating in value and so fun to play with. Playing coin hoarder is fun. At least I feel rich having 6000+ coins weighing in at 50+ kilos and worth a mere £84 :D

Perhaps i was a little too subtle there...

As £ is an elaborate L. Which means in solid reality (ignoring the illegal substance) there is no difference at all.

But it could also be interpreted the same way you did, it's addictive and coins can make you think you're something you're not. Look at the egotistical (i'm always right types because i can afford MS67 coins)... they think they're flying high above the rest but when their knowledge is put to the test they often come crashing down to earth. :D