British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Trinidadian Excitement, A NEW 1984FM Specimen Uncirculated Set

Wow, another White Whale landed, and with some difficulty. Besides the Jamaican coins and sets I have discussed elsewhere, I have for over 25 years been looking for the 1984 Franklin Mint Uncirculated Trinidad and Tobago 8 coin set. It is not listed in Krause or Schon although I had whiffs of its existence and had even turned up the 1984 50c in uncirculated separately.     

So a long story short, the set appeared, disappeared and just at the last moment appeared again and a friend was able to make the connection AT THE AIRPORT on leaving just at the last moment. So I have it in hand. I will try to post pictures as soon as I can...

My friend's cousin used to work at the Central Bank In Port-Au-Spain and related that I was extremely lucky to get such a set as VERY few were seen at that time...

Well, anyway, pictures to follow as I am able but meanwhile an exciting discovery....

• Like 5

Well done - are there 1984 proof sets?

Yes, a bit scarce and have been on the rise on ebay amongst other august (LOL) sources. There are two 8 coin sets In proof for 1984:

One is all coins in sterling silver

the other has only the larger $10 in silver, the rest in lesser metals.

The specimen set is very rare on the ground and have not seen before. An interesting but subtle sign of the distress in producing such is in the accompanying information card on my new set - it looks like it was printed at the corner High Street print shop compared to the very professionally done in earlier years. Also the plastic case not shown is a generic mint set case in use since 1980 and before. As was stated above, even bank personnel that usually have NO interest in numismatic issues knew at the time of issue that it was very scarce & the uncirculated set was NEVER to my knowledge advertised in all of the media outlets.

Readers will excuse me for still being excited I hope, but the seller was so flaky that even the small parts of the story were entertaining. Ah, the things we do for our collections! My friend was literally at the departure gate when he delivered, and this was after I was sure it was a lost enterprise.

• Like 2

I can imagine - my Franklin Mint interests are only the Cook Islands and Solomon Islands, and the 1982 and 1983 Solomon Islands coins are rare. Clearly the bubble had burst by 1982 so I can only imagine how tough it must be to find anything from 1984.

Yes, mostly. The 1983 T&T Specimen set usually goes for above 300USD when it appears  Who knows the mintage of even that one? My guess nobody.

• Like 1