British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

December 2021 LCA catalogue now posted

They have confirmed that there will be no room bidding, just commission or phone bidding.

I wonder if the guy who's selling his collection knew this ? I'll bet he didn't !

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

They have confirmed that there will be no room bidding, just commission or phone bidding.

I wonder if the guy who's selling his collection knew this ? I'll bet he didn't !

No, I'll bet he didn't either.

Don't think it's anything to do with the pandemic now, as they've done the last two as public auctions.

Do you know the reason, Richard?

21 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Do you know the reason, Richard?

No, they're pretty economical with their communications.

Methinks that they would turn back the hands of time to the Iron Age.....

Beyond me that they have not gotten their act together enough to have on-line bidding. Also the pictures are somewhat inadequate, and at times even moreso.

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Methinks that they would turn back the hands of time to the Iron Age.....

Beyond me that they have not gotten their act together enough to have on-line bidding. Also the pictures are somewhat inadequate, and at times even moreso.

Although in their favour, and to balance things up ⚖️, you do pay over 10% less buyer's premium than say, DNW. 

But yes, LCA real time online bidding would be great.  

Agreed, the thing is that they get these days 0% of my money as I don't even bid anymore...Not that I have been overly thrilled with offerings of late.

Without room bid, let's see how many prices are hammered at our maximum bid price.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruce said:

Without room bid, let's see how many prices are hammered at our maximum bid price.

That's always the suspicion when these things go on behind closed doors. We will see.  

• Like 1

LCA website currently down.

They usually temporarily down several times a month...ha....now it's up again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruce said:

They usually temporarily down several times a month...ha....now it's up again.

Yes.

It was a bit strange really. I tried again last night on my PC and it still wasn't up. So I decided to give it a try on my tablet, and it worked. Then worked on my PC - all this within about 2 minutes. So it must have come back just before I tried on my tablet 

Silly question perhaps...

...but why is the LCA catalogue always posted into a topic here, but never the DNW ? I'd rate DNW higher on the scale than LCA, so...?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Silly question perhaps...

...but why is the LCA catalogue always posted into a topic here, but never the DNW ? I'd rate DNW higher on the scale than LCA, so...?

Actually, that's a very good point.

I suppose it's become a bit traditional to post the LCA catalogue, but yes, as you rightly say, the DNW is at least as important.

• Like 1

I've said it many times, but why do LCA still insist not dragging themselves into the 21st Century with live bidding software, there's software out there that they don't even have to develop, now with the continuation of the pandemic and the probability of limited amounts of people meeting, it makes more sense than ever.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Actually, that's a very good point.

I suppose it's become a bit traditional to post the LCA catalogue, but yes, as you rightly say, the DNW is at least as important.

Speaking of which, did anyone get anything worthwhile from last week's sale? I see the 1926ME went for just under estimate - I was sorely tempted but it was slabbed so I decided against.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Speaking of which, did anyone get anything worthwhile from last week's sale? I see the 1926ME went for just under estimate - I was sorely tempted but it was slabbed so I decided against.

£1100 hammer - actually a decent price for such a quality piece.

I bid for the 1797 pattern penny (lot 195), but made a mess of the bidding and lost it. Thought for a second as the bidding stopped, it was mine, but then as soon as the hammer went down realised it was still with the auctioneer's prior bidder, who'd obviously bid more. 

1 hour ago, azda said:

I've said it many times, but why do LCA still insist not dragging themselves into the 21st Century with live bidding software, there's software out there that they don't even have to develop, now with the continuation of the pandemic and the probability of limited amounts of people meeting, it makes more sense than ever.

It would make a hugely positive difference if they did. Essentially, unless you attend in person (and even that wasn't possible this time), then they're all sealed bids. So you have no clue how you've fared until the realised prices are posted. With a live auction - even if the premium is higher - you at least have a chance to really chase the item you want.

• Like 1

All that matters is whether the existing setup works for them or not. Whilst it may help you or me if there was on-line bidding, it doesn't necessarily translate into greater profits for them, which is the whole point of business. The hard work has been done in facilitating an auction. After the initial business setup, tweaking a model typically gives a relatively small increase in returns as anyone in business knows. It should in theory produce better results, but how much is an unknown. I don't know what the various platforms charge for the facility, so can't do any sums. 

All auction houses are trying to maximise profits, as it is the only important statistic for being in business. Since Covid, DNW no longer send out catalogues, instead offering to mail them at £25 a copy. With at least a dozen sales a year, that is a coin. That's been a pain too, as it takes a few minutes to scan through a paper catalogue allowing you to quickly identify the lots/areas of interest. Having to plough through the whole catalogue online takes hours and hours. Consequently I have only bid on a few items that I noticed in advance and essentially ignored most of the offerings as I don't have a day to spend meticulously looking at each lot. However, that also works for DNW as they no longer have the cost of printing and mailing catalogues - greater profits, job done.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Since Covid, DNW no longer send out catalogues, instead offering to mail them at £25 a copy. With at least a dozen sales a year, that is a coin. That's been a pain too, as it takes a few minutes to scan through a paper catalogue allowing you to quickly identify the lots/areas of interest. Having to plough through the whole catalogue online takes hours and hours.

Eh? If you download the pdf it takes very little time to scroll down to the lots that might interest you.

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

If you download the pdf it takes very little time to scroll down to the lots that might interest you.

Exactly, and then go to the catalogue lot by lot for the detailed photos.

• Like 1

As long as you know what you're looking for the website is just as good as the hard copy catalogue + the photos are larger and more detailed.

The LCA catalogue comes into its own when the realised prices are posted. You can then easily find which items haven't sold.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:54 PM, Bruce said:

Bid £800 on Lot No 2148 - hammer price £800!!!

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:
On 11/19/2021 at 3:54 PM, Bruce said:

Bid £800 on Lot No 2148 - hammer price £800!!!

I won two of my five bids at - guess what - my maximum bid price!!

• Like 2

I bid on seventeen coins and won seven, two at my max and five below. between five and 25% less than my bid.  That seems a reasonable outcome to me. and doesn't obviously suggest any bidding shenanegans.  One of the bigger savings was on my most expensive lot, too. Basically I am building up my halfpenny collection, commoner varieties so none of the bids were stupid, several less than the last time they sold.

Jerry

• Like 1