British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

December 2021 LCA catalogue now posted

Not really much of interest for me, and interestingly, much of what was in the preview - mysteriously - is not present in the main catalogue......... 

Edited by 1949threepence

I just had a look. Nothing there of interest to me.

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Not really much of interest for me, and interestingly, much of what was in the preview - mysteriously - is not present in the main catalogue......... 

There are various collections in there separately listed, so I think they'll be in there. Not much for me either though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

There are various collections in there separately listed, so I think they'll be in there. Not much for me either though. 

Indeed - my error by omission. They're in the SOHO collection. 

Does anyone know where this auction will take place ? There's no mention of location.

52 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Does anyone know where this auction will take place ? There's no mention of location.

According to the link header, it's still at the Grange Hotel Bracknell - scroll down a bit here

But when you actually click on it, there is no mention of the location.

I know they're changing to somewhere else in March 2022. That was in the last hard copy catalogue. Didn't really take much notice of where it was though.   

They have replied that it's in Kent.

But now I can't access their website - is anyone else having problems ?

The website is fine now I think. It was out of action last evening for me.

I thought I'd have a browse...

https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?searchlot=1708&searchtype=2&page=Catalogue

This one looks definitely suspect to me, perhaps a cast (?) yet verified as genuine by LCGS. The rim is also unlike any 1658 shilling that I've seen before.

The sub-standard photography doesn't help much either.

Moving on.

30 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

This one looks definitely suspect to me, perhaps a cast (?) yet verified as genuine by LCGS. The rim is also unlike any 1658 shilling that I've seen before.

Moving on.

If in doubt DON'T ..........touch with a barge pole .

Edited by copper123
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 6:39 PM, secret santa said:

They have replied that it's in Kent.

But now I can't access their website - is anyone else having problems ?

Just dawned on me Richard, that Bracknell's in Berkshire, rather than Kent.

So presumably they have already moved to the new venue, and auctions at the Grange Hotel are no more?

Bracknell was fine for me, about 45 minutes drive but this auction is at their Kent office and they still haven't told me whether the public can attend or not. Presumably not as I can't imagine that they have the space. And, anyway, that's too far away for me.

25 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Bracknell was fine for me, about 45 minutes drive but this auction is at their Kent office and they still haven't told me whether the public can attend or not. Presumably not as I can't imagine that they have the space. And, anyway, that's too far away for me.

Yep, Longfield. I've worked out that even if I still lived in Chelmsford it would be a slightly awkward place to get to. Would probably have to use the Dartford Tunnel from Thurrock.

From where I live now, it's simply not a viable journey for a day. Too much hassle around the London area.    

20 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Which basically means that without being able to view because Kent is a long way to go and they no longer go to Wakefield, that bids will be few and far between from me. I'm not sure where it will be held, so will have to wait for the catalogue to arrive in order to find out. 

2 hours ago, Diaconis said:

Moving on.

That doesn't look very good from the surfaces perspective. I've never seen a solid raised narrow rim before as they usually have some tooth detail. It would be good to see if the edge is milled as it should be 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob said:

so will have to wait for the catalogue to arrive in order to find out. 

Catalogue just arrived - no mention of venue !!!!!! And still no reply to my question of where the auction will be.

Maybe they're still negotiating on a venue ?

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Catalogue just arrived - no mention of venue !!!!!! And still no reply to my question of where the auction will be.

Quite possibly. Venues are a mess at the moment. The regular bookings of pre-Covid are essentially cancelled and people are starting from scratch. Wakefield happened last month for the first time since lockdown in ................Huddersfield. No Wakefield  in Huddersfield or Wakefield next month due to a prior booking - probably a Christmas party even if it is the end of November. Wakefield is back in Huddersfield for January and February with a possibility that Wakefield will be in Wakefield at the end of March, though sticking with Huddersfield given the better room lighting would be preferable. Simple.

Edited by Rob

16 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Just dawned on me Richard, that Bracknell's in Berkshire, rather than Kent.

So presumably they have already moved to the new venue, and auctions at the Grange Hotel are no more?

And I always thought it was in the play "The importance of being ernest"

30 minutes ago, copper123 said:

"Earnest" the word, not "Ernest" the name.

Subtle but big difference. 

Bit like when people write "your" instead of "you're". The difference between "your shit" and "you're shit"  ;)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, copper123 said:

"The Importance of Being Earnest"

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Bit like when people write "your" instead of "you're". The difference between "your shit" and "you're shit"  ;)  

Lol... I should "have" (not "of") read your post first..... 

You're absolutely correct. And I love your example.

The only caveat to blaming people entirely is the dreaded spell checker.

Text from his neighbor

I am so sorry Bob. I've been riddled with guilt and I have to confess. I have been tapping your wife, day and night when you're not around. In fact, more than you. I do not get any at home, but that's no excuse. I can no longer live with the guilt and I hope you will accept my sincerest apology with my promise that it won't happen again.

The man, anguished and betrayed, went into his bedroom, grabbed his gun, and without a word, shot his wife and killed her.

A few moments later, a second text came in: Damn autocorrect! I meant "wifi", not "wife"

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Hmm, pity they can't just give you a straight, honest answer of where they're currently at with the issue, instead of all this cloak and dagger stuff?  

3 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Lol... I should "have" (not "of") read your post first..... 

You're absolutely correct. And I love your example.

The only caveat to blaming people entirely is the dreaded spell checker.

Text from his neighbor

I am so sorry Bob. I've been riddled with guilt and I have to confess. I have been tapping your wife, day and night when you're not around. In fact, more than you. I do not get any at home, but that's no excuse. I can no longer live with the guilt and I hope you will accept my sincerest apology with my promise that it won't happen again.

The man, anguished and betrayed, went into his bedroom, grabbed his gun, and without a word, shot his wife and killed her.

A few moments later, a second text came in: Damn autocorrect! I meant "wifi", not "wife"

I did copy and paste that so am not guilty as regards corrections LOL

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Not to mention the vital importance of capital letters, as in

"I helped my uncle jack off a horse"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4