British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Storing penny

Hello everyone, I am a newbie.  I visit the forum almost on daily basis in the past year, learn a lot from you all experienced collectors.  Finally decide to register, while it takes some weeks for approval 😅.

I have a question about storing copper/bronze pennies.  I am currently keeping penny and halfpenny in capsule then in an air-tight box, due to the high humidity here in Hong Kong.  In the same box, I also keep silver coins, like shilling, florin etc.  Is it ok to do so?  Or I should separate copper/bronze coins from silver coins?  Thanks in advance for your advice.

I don't think there is any problem if the coins are kept separately in capsules. But if humidity is high, then keeping some desiccant permanently in the box would be a good idea. 

Interesting question.

Been doing a bit of research and there are quite a few coin forum threads on the issue from other parts of the world with very high humidity, such as Florida.

Found a really useful thread here 

Yes, silica gel is a good dessicant, but it must be dried regularly when it's absorbed moisture.

Thanks for advice.  i am using silica gel as well, and yes, have to monitor the color change regularly. 

• Like 2

As a result of your thread, Bruce, I decided to buy a humidity monitor, and here is a photo of it, on top of my coin cabinet, showing a humidity of 49%, which from what I've read is perfectly OK for coin storage. 

humidity.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

As a result of your thread, Bruce, I decided to buy a humidity monitor, and here is a photo of it, on top of my coin cabinet, showing a humidity of 49%, which from what I've read is perfectly OK for coin storage. 

humidity.jpg

Nice, i may follow you n buy 1 to put inside my air-tight box.  Here, humidity is often over 70.

• Like 1

I have seen quoted (eg NGC) that 37-40% at 75 degrees F. ideal. Do not forget the temperature element of the equation.

16 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I have seen quoted (eg NGC) that 37-40% at 75 degrees F. ideal. Do not forget the temperature element of the equation.

Interesting. Since I bought the device, the humidity has varied between 38% at the lowest to 53% at the highest. Average around 44%. Does vary according to outside weather conditions, and goes up when I have a shower or am boiling potatoes.

75 degrees F (which is 23.9 degrees C) is a bit higher than the room my coins are in, which (currently) averages about 22 degrees (72F). First thing in the morning it's around 18 degrees (64F).

Obviously much higher during the Summer months. Probably the humidity will be too.

I am not at all sure about this and only quoted it - the humidity - as I know that old junkyard cars in inland California and Arizona are prized because of the preserving qualities of very low humidity which can go VERY low (ie 8-20%).

• Like 2

....and not forgetting that if you collect tin issues, 13˚C is the point, below which, pest starts....

• Like 1