British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Rarity? "Hidden" 1991 Bahamas Mint Set

I just made a fairly interesting buy off of ebay. As readers know I like to collect coins of the British Colonial Caribbean and related as a sideline to my late pre-decimal GB series. As I have nearly finished the FM series of mint set and currency unc. coins, I turned to those coins later struck (post-1985) by the Royal Mint and taking up the earlier designs struck by the FM.

Anyway, it is very difficult if not possible to locate some of the dollar and 2 dollar coins struck in unc. and copper nickel content - some were not truly known or published to my knowledge. I got the 1996 Bahamas 7 coin mint set struck by the RM lately and this is apparently very scarce. I then wanted to fill in a 1992 Bahamas 7 coin set and these evidently came in a pack with envelope commemorating the Quincentennial (1492-1992). 

I found one at a good price and as I opened it today, instead of the expected 1992 coins I had a 7 coin set ALL dated 1991! These are not supposed to be in such packaging and not even really known to exist. The dollar coins all have the conch on the reverse and QE II on the obverse. I have seen no other sets with the 1991 dated coins and all others dated 1992.

Now, I am NOT having luck with the $2 flamingo coins in uncirculated (with the proofs being somewhat available) as these were not in the sets and I have not seen them singly. Here is what I have seen after a careful look, and varies from Krause and NGC and even varies from Schon and en.numista:

Dollars (conch):

1989, 1991 (now confirmed), 1992, 1996, 2000

Two Dollars (flamingos):

1989 (not confirmed), 1991 silver (not confirmed in Copper Nickel), (1992, 1996, 2000 all not confirmed)

In addition the following Franklin Mint matte unc. coins are quite rare I would surmise:

Dollars Conch (all matte):

1975 (not seen), 1976, 1977 (probably more rare than suggested mintage)

Two Dollars Flamingos (all matte):

1975, 1976, 1977 (all very scarce and IMO difficult)

These are not valuable but fun for me at least to collect. Do let me know if you have a line to any of the individual coins or sets that may include any of the coins not confirmed or noted dates.

Edited by VickySilver
clarification
  • Like 4

I have nothing to contribute but congratulations on the new find! Must be very satisfying, although filling a gap you didn't know you had doesn't really get you closer the complete set.

LOL. Yes, that is true. Another thing is that decent GB coins in my area are crazily priced these days and so nice to get less expensive bits.

• Like 1