British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
myt

Charles I shilling with incorrect ticket

Hi all, 

I bought a lot at the recent Stacks Bowers auction in August. All five coins came with tickets; however, the one Charles I shilling was left with what I am assuming is a mis-matched ticket as the coin clearly is a shilling and not sixpence,  (please see below), more specifically Aberstwyth mint Sharp group E3? I also included a photo of the Half-crown and ticket in case some finer point is incorrect and would be lost on me as I am not as familiar as others on this forum with Charles I coin types. I bought the lot for a James I shilling, these just happened to be in the mix. 

IMG_E0556.JPG.4394263bb66337cb13ce37f05dd4898c.JPGIMG_E0553.JPG.74875398c23c321fade589a232c3436f.JPGIMG_E0563.JPG.e9a282eff23cac2a819e44d3986b1c57.JPG

Thanks in advance!

That's a fairly serious mismatch of tickets and raises questions. Obviously they are completely unrelated to the coins, but the prices of the ticket items is not insignificant and certainly considerably higher than the coins seen. The half pound is a four figure coin. The halfcrown pictured is a three figure coin. The shilling is a regular Tower issue (not Aberystwyth), and as such a hundred or more in value depending on the condition of the reverse compared to an Oxford 6d that books at £250 in Fine and £800 in VF. Is there any indication on the other side of the tickets to say where they came from?

Nobody with a bit of knowledge would match these tickets with these coins. Were the other 3 correct? Could you put up pictures of both sides please of all the tickets.

• Thanks 1

Now that I am looking at it, it is a bit funny how incorrect the descriptions were on the posting for Stacks Bowers. I must have looked at the actual coins rather than the descriptions too much, because seeing these tickets was a bit of a surprise. I didn't even notice that they listed the James I shilling I bought as "mm thistle" when it is clearly Bell/Key (the coin I was interested in). The listing did not give too much info on the E1 shilling, but somehow the ticket has the incorrect mm as it is clearly "1" from the reverse (back of the E1 ticket just says 5758). I am not an expert on the Charles 2 shilling, but from what I researched beforehand it seemed to be OK and the ticket looks fine as well. None of the tickets were listed in the auction, but it is a bit comical that they came with the coins. 

Since I am planning to part with the four which are not James 1, I guess that begs the questions if I just toss the tickets once sold as they are clearly incorrect? If the Charles II tickets looks OK, then I would leave that with the sale. 

IMG_E0569.JPG.33d5e073c2205ca3750f36539578f924.JPGIMG_E0567.JPG.705f7394df437b60a1bbe09a48ad61d0.JPG

It looks like someone at the auctioneers has got the tickets from several lots mixed up.  Your lot of 5 coins is lot 44558 I believe.  Also in that sale, potentially matching your tickets, are lot 44553 (Elizabeth shilling mm tun), lot 44561 (James I shilling 2nd bust mm thistle) and lot 44567 (Charles I Oxford sixpence).  I can't see an Oxford half pound in the sale so that ticket remains a mystery.  It seems a shame to discard the tickets as they should really belong with the coins to which they relate.  And presumably, the tickets for your coins are now with the winners of these other lots.  Or perhaps some completely different ones?  Rather poor service from the auctioneers.  I bet they wouldn't have made this type of mistake with US coins?

Edited by kildonan
typo
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much @kildonan, I didn't even think to check if they just switched the tickets around between lots. I guess I will reach out to them and send these back rather than throw them away. Hopefully they can forward to their owners. The only ticket I would really want back would be the James I shilling ticket, as the other coins in the lot I am parting with. I have little faith I will be able to recover any of the correct tickets -_-'

@Rob, thank you for the clarifications upfront and initial thoughts! 

Late in my follow-up, but it was as I suspected... and I quote:

"Thank you kindly for you patience during our review. Unfortunately we no longer have the tickets that originate with these coins. No need to send back the tickets that you have, and you can dispose of them however you like."

A little disappointing to not get the ticket for the James I Shilling I wanted,... hooray for clerical errors.