British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

CNG Auction Today, British Milled

This auction posted today (and I was late since I was at work). I had wanted to bid on the Spink-acquired date sets that were graded, esp. the 1930 and 1935 sets that had some very highly graded material:

These posted as follows NOT including the commissions, etc.:

1930 set in silver NOT including crown:     2500 USD. !!!!

1935 set in silver with 1935 CURRENCY crown:    800 USD !!!!

IMO these were big prices that I believe the grading/slabbing affected.

ahh i was bidding on the 1928-1936 lots so might have driven some of this, i won just 1 of them had to let the 1935 go early as i was only interested in the MS67 6 pence from that.

1930 was a little higher than expected, all the rest of the coins in that lot weren't all that special, price purely driven by the 1/2 C (which is top pop but wasn't marked as such) 

Did you win any of these? some deals on the wreaths i feel

I was pleasantly surprised at some of the prices today. I bought 3 lots today all for me - the W3 Y sixpence, which means the ex-Slaney coin will be returning to Manchester after nearly 2 decades on holiday in East Anglia. Also bought the 1821 6d and finally, the 1837 threehalfpence, which wasn't on my list, but it would have been rude not to bid at that price. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob said:

I was pleasantly surprised at some of the prices today. I bought 3 lots today all for me - the W3 Y sixpence, which means the ex-Slaney coin will be returning to Manchester after nearly 2 decades on holiday in East Anglia. Also bought the 1821 6d and finally, the 1837 threehalfpence, which wasn't on my list, but it would have been rude not to bid at that price. :)

very nice definitely good additions, i missed out on a lot of the earlier lots as i haven't bid with CNG for a while and didn't realise i had to create a new account and register for approval, luckily i noticed around lot 100 so had a couple hours to authorise before the GV series.

Well, I thought the auction was to begin at 1 PM EST. Where I got that I don't know....I think I remember when Spink offered these year sets and seem to recall them going for a bit above market but that they were overall superior sets. I agree with the above that the 1/2 C. drove the 1930 set, although more than I paid for the very scarce proof of that year.

I must say that 2500 IMO is over the top. I might have gone 1500-1800 range.

On the 1935, that was an exceptional crown but max value should likely have been in the 600-800 range, with the others of negligible value. So I would not have been there above 800 whatsoever in any case. I must stress that the currency crown without wear is quite rare (as an example, one key area just as with the Wreaths is the cheekbone of George and also his brow, mustache, jaw and ear; also for some reason there seems to be a large field area on the reverse that takes hits as does St. George's shield and sword, etc.).

Good on you that won lots!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Well, I thought the auction was to begin at 1 PM EST. Where I got that I don't know....I think I remember when Spink offered these year sets and seem to recall them going for a bit above market but that they were overall superior sets. I agree with the above that the 1/2 C. drove the 1930 set, although more than I paid for the very scarce proof of that year.

I must say that 2500 IMO is over the top. I might have gone 1500-1800 range.

On the 1935, that was an exceptional crown but max value should likely have been in the 600-800 range, with the others of negligible value. So I would not have been there above 800 whatsoever in any case. I must stress that the currency crown without wear is quite rare (as an example, one key area just as with the Wreaths is the cheekbone of George and also his brow, mustache, jaw and ear; also for some reason there seems to be a large field area on the reverse that takes hits as does St. George's shield and sword, etc.).

Good on you that won lots!

I'm not sure if you remember i shared with you my 1928-1936 1/2 crown "hoard" a few years ago? this 1/2 crown period is my vice

I agree with pricing and that's roughly where i stopped for those lots, i agree with the crown comment too, trying to find a high quality cheek(without pitting)/moustache well struck and a rocking horse that hasn't got great big dings in it is an exceptional condition rarity and deserving of the price if you are looking for perfection.

Do you have images of the legendary 1930 1/2 crown at all? would love to see it 

I will look and see. That was a purchase from the "real" Spink in the '90s. That will be in the Safe Deposit so perhaps Saturday. For many years it was the only graded at PCGS, but there is now another as well.