British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

New variety of Victorian Penny reverse D

Michael Gouby has recently sent me pictures of an 1860 F10 with  an interesting variation on the reverse. There are 2 additional lines to the border of St Andrew's cross in the top left quadrant of Britannia's shield. They seem to be too accurately placed to be the result of a die clash and Michael has asked collectors to check their reverse D pennies for any further instances. I have checked all mine and can't find any. Michael (and I) will be interested to learn of any additional examples.

BP-1860-Jr-shield-Arrows.gif.c6deae40ba07b38a88d82b9d2edc2b74.gif

• Like 4

Interesting.

Checked mine. Just the usual two lines, unfortunately.

Well-spotted - is it Freeman D or one of Paul Holland's reverse D variants? I don't think it's Holland D* at least.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:39 PM, Mr T said:

Well-spotted - is it Freeman D or one of Paul Holland's reverse D variants? I don't think it's Holland D* at least.

Plain old "D" I think.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, secret santa said:

Plain old "D" I think.

Do you have a photo of the whole reverse out of curiosity? Are the two lines the only strange thing about it?

I wonder if all the ones with a die crack REV D have it ( probably ) ,certainly easier to spot if anyone wants one.

Edited by PWA 1967

Hm, I'm still not sure - the extra strand on the helmet tail seems to be present on Holland D* reverse pennies but maybe not on the others. More digging required but it seems like D* is the most common at a glance.

Has anyone found one of these 1860 pennies with the two extra lines in the shield?