Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

DNW Sale Today 7/9/21

Recommended Posts

Well, I got nada but found some things interesting.

First:   George V silver is nearly dead and saw a (?) VF 1936 Wreath go for about 160. Many others did terribly - I did not see these in hand but some of the early 20s florins and HCs are pretty tough when well struck and attractive unmeshed with.

Second: I was surprised at the OMS (off metal strike) 1960 3d going for 600 pounds plus the "juice" as it was rather worn down to Fine or so. I got three mint state OMS 3ds from the 60s for about 300 USD apiece from Heritage of all places a couple of years ago, slabbed at that........

Third:  Maybe just me but prices seemed relatively soft overall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Well, I got nada but found some things interesting.

First:   George V silver is nearly dead and saw a (?) VF 1936 Wreath go for about 160. Many others did terribly - I did not see these in hand but some of the early 20s florins and HCs are pretty tough when well struck and attractive unmeshed with.

Second: I was surprised at the OMS (off metal strike) 1960 3d going for 600 pounds plus the "juice" as it was rather worn down to Fine or so. I got three mint state OMS 3ds from the 60s for about 300 USD apiece from Heritage of all places a couple of years ago, slabbed at that........

Third:  Maybe just me but prices seemed relatively soft overall.

 

Possibly in some areas, but not especially pronounced.

I had to fight for the two that I got. I'm just pleased I was working from home and so was able to log out of work PC for 15 minutes, and join the live auction. If I'd relied on my nominal pre auction bids, I'd have been blown out of the water.  

I note that of the 796 offered today, only 28 did not sell, so that's a sale rate of 96.5%, which seems good.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only bid for the Aethelred II Hereford penny, double struck obverse but a new moneyer for me, and I am happy with the price. Hereford is a scarce mint. I wonder, shall I go for the Charles I halfcrown coming up on DNW,  putatively Hereford? Lotsa dosh. ☹️.

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

saw a (?) VF 1936 Wreath go for about 160.

That was a steal, I'd have been well pleased with that. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 1912 HC didn't seem to be a soft price! £440 hammer.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That date has been on "wakeup" recently and has possibly outstripped the other 1911 and 1913 dates.

I am still shocked at the off-metal 1960 3d as I have some slabbed PCGS MS64s from 1964 and 1966 plus an MS61 1960 halfpenny struck in ALUMINUM. These each were about 250USD....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VickySilver said:

That date has been on "wakeup" recently and has possibly outstripped the other 1911 and 1913 dates.

Wow, that makes mine something to be reappraised! Mind you, there's probably a gulf between these that are 90% and the ones that are 95% +

2070707416_1912halfcobv.jpg.87246d4d9b4cf6a538b9a67de07b8a14.jpg 746556050_1912halfcrev.jpg.cc87147afb9cbf25e2428cb6d685dfdc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One great thing about DNW is the speed at which they operate. Invoice for won lots posted on website a few hours after winning them.

Despatched today - and the thing that I really do like is that they provide you with the tracking number. Surprising just how many don't bother.   

I suppose it's the quality you pay for with that high premium.

 

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I believe the American market for quality is in effect for many Brit coins, including the 1912 HC.

I am getting progressively blown apart at auction and purchases are becoming fewer and farther apart sadly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2021 at 8:15 PM, VickySilver said:

Well, I got nada but found some things interesting.

First:   George V silver is nearly dead and saw a (?) VF 1936 Wreath go for about 160. Many others did terribly - I did not see these in hand but some of the early 20s florins and HCs are pretty tough when well struck and attractive unmeshed with.

Second: I was surprised at the OMS (off metal strike) 1960 3d going for 600 pounds plus the "juice" as it was rather worn down to Fine or so. I got three mint state OMS 3ds from the 60s for about 300 USD apiece from Heritage of all places a couple of years ago, slabbed at that........

Third:  Maybe just me but prices seemed relatively soft overall.

 

I think most prices were reflected in the coins being cleaned and dealers who viewed the coins not bidding ,which although they would only bid low makes the end price higher.

Some that were contested in this auction and other auctions are maybe years that people know that even if common are hard to find well struck or full natural lustre and it only needs two people to both want the same coin.

The 1856 Penny although cleaned wasnt attributed as the OT ,which is much scarcer and was maybe wanted by two people.Also the 1848/7 Penny seemed expensive  , i do know someone who bid on it though which obviously pushed the price up.

On the whole though ,a lot of these prices over the last 12 / 15 months at auction are possibly due to people not being able to find much anywhere else.

Dealers have not been buying anything hardly ,NO SHOWS for people to buy and sell definately makes a big difference and ebay also has not had much as far as decent grade coins. Most of the ones on ebay or dealers lists have come from group lots at auctions ,some prices for 10 /20 coins at auction have been expensive also.This has also pushed the re-sell prices up and why some individual coins on dealers lists and ebay may seem expensive.

I feel sure talking to dealers almost everyday that now the shows are slowly starting again and more activity as we get back to some kind of normal ,  MORE CHOICE will make things much better and maybe with more choice the prices will start to even out.

Edited by PWA 1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I think most prices were reflected in the coins being cleaned and dealers who viewed the coins not bidding ,which although they would only bid low makes the end price higher.

Some that were contested in this auction and other auctions are maybe years that people know that even if common are hard to find well struck or full natural lustre and it only needs two people to both want the same coin.

The 1856 Penny although cleaned wasnt attributed as the OT ,which is much scarcer and was maybe wanted by two people.Also the 1848/7 Penny seemed expensive  , i do know someone who bid on it though which obviously pushed the price up.

On the whole though ,a lot of these prices over the last 12 / 15 months at auction are possibly due to people not being able to find much anywhere else.

Dealers have not been buying anything hardly ,NO SHOWS for people to buy and sell definately makes a big difference and ebay also has not had much as far as decent grade coins. Most of the ones on ebay or dealers lists have come from group lots at auctions ,some prices for 10 /20 coins at auction have been expensive also.This has also pushed the re-sell prices up and why some individual coins on dealers lists and ebay may seem expensive.

I feel sure talking to dealers almost everyday that now the shows are slowly starting again and more activity as we get back to some kind of normal ,  MORE CHOICE will make things much better and maybe with more choice the prices will start to even out.

Pete, that was one I had to fight for. But for this particular specimen, it was well worth it in my opinion. I'd imagine the other bidder had the same thoughts as me.     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Pete, that was one I had to fight for. But for this particular specimen, it was well worth it in my opinion. I'd imagine the other bidder had the same thoughts as me.     

 

So long as your happy Mike and it fits in your collection and not for re-sale , it does not matter what you paid or someone else thinks 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

So long as your happy Mike and it fits in your collection and not for re-sale , it does not matter what you paid or someone else thinks 👍

Exactly my thoughts when I got the UNC 1930 HC earlier this year - possibly paid top whack or higher but to complete that series with the hardest date was worth it for me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×