British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
kuhli

Still living in the past

I wonder if it is like the Seaby catalog, they come out with a new one when they feel like it?

That approach sounds much more sensible to me than rushing out an incomplete revision each year like some publishers do...

I wonder if it is like the Seaby catalog, they come out with a new one when they feel like it?

That approach sounds much more sensible to me than rushing out an incomplete revision each year like some publishers do...

Every two years would suffice i should thnk.

Every two years would suffice i should thnk.

On that note, I really don't pay attention to the prices they have in there, Seaby seemed to have been a bit lowish, whilst CC tended towards the other end of the price spectrum. The prices are good as a guide, but only as such.

On that note, I really don't pay attention to the prices they have in there, Seaby seemed to have been a bit lowish, whilst CC tended towards the other end of the price spectrum. The prices are good as a guide, but only as such.

I like the idea of the slightly higher and lower prices, it gives you more room to negotiate.

Can you imagine if it was just Seaby, dealers would charge over book and then only buy just below that book, and if you tried to argue that the coin was realistically worth a bit more, they'd just show you the standard book and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

The US coin market seems to be governed by pricing books,Red,Blue, & black etc ?where each one is intended for collectors or dealers....its a bit like car dealers in this country with their little black book (glass) and Parkers guide or What Car which us punters can freely get from newsagents.

Once you get beyond the mass produced BU coins which can be lined up in their identical little plastic slabs the whole area of valuing of coins becomes subjective.

Our pricing books do give a reasonable guide and I do use them all to some extent.(Not brown nosing but I trust Rotographic's books in their respective fields the most).

Our field/hobby is too vast to categorize exactness....and of course there is the trouble with grading !!!!!!!!

Of several lists I receive...sometimes there are bargains (in my opinion)...but then I have to take the "Dealer" grading factor into consideration.

(A couple I just no longer bother with).

There are a few coins I've been after for years...although cheap(ish) in our pricing books they just never appear for sale....part of the fun though is hunting them down and the rush I get when I contact the dealer and its still in stock.

I've also followed a few coins on Ebay which weren't quite right but I still watched in dismay as they have made 10x catalogue price.

Great hobby though. :D