British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Artisan

Help With Denarius Identification

I have a silver Denarius coin that I am struggling to identify. Please can anyone identify this coin and give me details?

Coin - Denarius

Material - Silver

Diameter - 17mm

Weight - 2.37g

Axis - 180 degrees

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

I might be able to help, but those pics are tiny and I am struggling to make out any detail. Can you post larger versions - if necessary one per post to keep within the limits?

Hello Paddy. Thank you for your reply. I was having problems with the pictures being too large so I used two others. I didn't release that would be tiny to view. I'll try and attach a suitable image but I'm not too good with photo sizes. I think my problem is that the images I have are very large because when I first tried to add a photo to my post it would not even take the first picture I was attaching. Here's the first. Second to follow next

ID 2.jpg

Second image

ID 1.jpg

Certainly going to be tricky! Very little to go on - I can't really work out any of the lettering. The head looks reminiscent of Septimus Severus with the possibly forked beard? The reverse looks a bit crudely designed, which made me think of a barbarous copy - but that doesn't usually happen with silver denarius I believe?

Good luck!

The way the silver appears to be bubbling and lost in places, especially on the reverse, makes me think it is a plated copy. 

Jerry

• Like 1

I think... the reverse is depicting, or trying to depict, the god Salus.

• Like 1

can't tell, sorry

Paddy. I also thought that it may Septimus Severus so I continue my searching in that area. Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the conservation is quite poor however it could be the following one according to what I can read:

Obv: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IIII - laureate head right
Rev: SECVRITAS PVBLICA - Securitas seated left, holding globe in right hand

References: RIC 56

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matteo95 said:

Unfortunately, the conservation is quite poor however it could be the following one according to what I can read:

Obv: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IIII - laureate head right
Rev: SECVRITAS PVBLICA - Securitas seated left, holding globe in right hand

References: RIC 56

Thank you. Looking closely at the coin under magnification I think you could be correct. I will look up the reference you have provided.

Thanks again, Greg 

RIC_0056.jpg

This is the example on Wildwinds - looks to be a good match though the OP coin is rather cruder in design, particularly on the reverse.

Could be a crude copy?

• Like 1

Septimus severus is an interesting emperor  he died in York UK after catching an unknown infection (probably a flu bug ) and leading a battle against the scots

Funny enough not many emperors put the uk on their bucket list after this and most remained stuck on the palitine hill with its mod cons and relative safety.

• Like 1

Also interesting is that he was succeeded by Caracalla and Geta - brothers. They couldn't stand their father's advisors, so had them all beheaded. A recent excavation in York discovered a Roman cemetery with about 30 bodies buried with their heads between their knees - presumed to be Septimus Severus's advisors.

Geta didn't last long - murdered probably on the orders of his brother. Caracalla only made it another 5 years before too was murdered. 

Who would be emperor in those days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Who would be emperor in those days!

Probably declared their imperium stolen from them and got the mob to march on the Senate building!!

• Haha 1

Like Trump?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Like Trump?

Being an Emperor would trump Trump being only a President...

Maybe the the etymological root of 'trample' is actually 'trump'.  As in the following. "The Emperor exhorted the populace to 'trumple' over the Senate."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Being an Emperor would trump Trump being only a President...

Maybe the the etymological root of 'trample' is actually 'trump'.  As in the following. "The Emperor exhorted the populace to 'trumple' over the Senate."

Isn't the etymology of trump, 'trump'? As in, make a loud noise that smells really bad...

• Haha 1