British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Some more crooks trying to get away with not reporting finds

Sentencing should befit the crime, only then will such criminals learn their lesson.

Seizing all assets might be a good start, along with a lengthy custodial sentence. Unfortunately the usual slap on the wrist is no deterrent.

These arrests and subsequent charges are an extension of the investigations into the dispersal of the north Herefordshire Saxon hoard which have already resulted in four convictions and substantial prison sentences previously discussed on this site. Reports previously suggested that around 30 coins from this hoard were recovered in the Durham raids. A number of ‘two emperor’ coins are included, hence the high valuation.  Initial ‘guesstimates’ of the total coins in the hoard were around 300, so there are still well over 200 yet to be recovered.

Jerry

• Like 1

I presume the reason for non declaration is that the coins were found from detectoring done without the landowner's permission. 

Really stupid when you think about it. If they'd gone about it in an honest, straightforward manner, they'd all have gained financially instead of facing a needless prison term and a criminal record. 

• Like 2

No-one thinks long-term any more.

The epitome of short-termism is greed.

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I presume the reason for non declaration is that the coins were found from detectoring done without the landowner's permission. 

Really stupid when you think about it. If they'd gone about it in an honest, straightforward manner, they'd all have gained financially instead of facing a needless prison term and a criminal record. 

I think Eddie Grundy got the message...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

In this case, as I understand, the finders had permission from the tenant, but not the landowner who is said to have been anti detecting. Had they declared the hoard initially, they would likely be deemed to have been acting reasonably, if unaware of the true land ownership, and would have shared half of the multi million hoard valuation. Instead they are part way through sentences of 8 and 10 years, and with confiscation orders hanging over them. I have little sympathy.

Jerry

• Like 1

Trouble is its hard to value up coins when they have already been sold to a dealer (the dealer will probable have been lied to over their source anyway).

You also have the problem that a fraudster will often lie about what and where he sold his items.

Edited by copper123