British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

Really sorry if this is a stupid question but which UK based slabbing company is the one to deal with (Assuming there are more than one). I've shied away from all things slabbed and purposely know nothing about it however,  needs must when the devil farts in your general direction.

Thanks and luv from Dave

FLASH BY NAME FLASH BY NATURE

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Really sorry if this is a stupid question but which UK based slabbing company is the one to deal with (Assuming there are more than one). I've shied away from all things slabbed and purposely know nothing about it however,  needs must when the devil farts in your general direction.

Thanks and luv from Dave

Unless LCGS are still going then there isnt any UK based slabbing companies, you’d have to send to PCGS or NGC, both are fairly cheap to join at $25

4 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

@azda do you ship the coins to the USA or to a UK address for both PCGS and NGC?

NGC  have an office in Munich, I can take the Ubahn and drop them off if I have something to send, they do the rest of the work. they did do on-site grading here 4 times a year but stopped until the pandemic eases. They generally ship now every Monday and it will take around 7 weeks for them to come back. I did use PCGS and shipped those to Paris at the time they also did on-site, now both have stopped for the time being, but its obviously easier for me to use NGC if I was to slab something 

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

https://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/index_org.php

They still seem to be in business. like all grading services they can be patchy with their appraisals. Personally I have never used a TPG'er but have acquired coins  that have been slabbed  by these companies NGS , PCGS and CGS. IMO judge the coin not the grade TPG'ers assign to the coin. If you are new to coin collecting I suggest that you obtain a copy of the excellent book The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins published by Rotographic  available from Amazon in book and Kindle formats.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:13 PM, Nonmortuus said:

@azda do you ship the coins to the USA or to a UK address for both PCGS and NGC?

NGC has a London office. https://www.ngccoin.uk/news/article/6822/london-office-opens/

15 hours ago, ozjohn said:

https://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/index_org.php

They still seem to be in business. like all grading services they can be patchy with their appraisals. Personally I have never used a TPG'er but have acquired coins  that have been slabbed  by these companies NGS , PCGS and CGS. IMO judge the coin not the grade TPG'ers assign to the coin. If you are new to coin collecting I suggest that you obtain a copy of the excellent book The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins published by Rotographic  available from Amazon in book and Kindle formats.

I think there may be a problem with CGS. I'm a member from some years ago (even though I never had any slabbing done). When I go to the link it comes up with the message "you need to be logged in to use this feature". When I log in using the auto remembered username and password, it comes up with the same message. 

Users of LCGS have already reported that they are no longer in the business. (I too had an account from the CGS days. That ceased to work when CGS became LCGS.)

Website still works browser dependent, works in my iPhone and Kindle, but not my laptop (chrome)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chingford said:

Website still works browser dependent, works in my iPhone and Kindle, but not my laptop (chrome)

Interesting, thanks.

I believe LCGS are no longer running a grading service.  I had thought it was due to COVID but I don't think they have restarted.  Unless anyone knows any different. 

2 hours ago, Varietalis said:

I believe LCGS are no longer running a grading service.  I had thought it was due to COVID but I don't think they have restarted.  Unless anyone knows any different. 

Oh what a tragic loss to numismatics

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 8/1/2021 at 9:22 AM, Chingford said:

Tried on my tablet (which is bang up to date). Exactly the same on there. Obviously not working.

Yet for some odd reason LCA still have it as a now dud feature on their website. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Tried on my tablet (which is bang up to date). Exactly the same on there. Obviously not working.

Yet for some odd reason LCA still have it as a now dud feature on their website. 

LCGS.jpg.08e4719ad407b0a2b328ac15a1829b75.jpg

Works for me

I'm starting my own service, for people who just love certain coins.

They send me a pile of coins wrapped in a tenner, I look at the coins,

and send them back not wrapped in the tenner, with a note that says they are 'really nice', or 'wow- rare in  this lovely condition' etc. etc.....

Everyone wins!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I'm starting my own service, for people who just love certain coins.

They send me a pile of coins wrapped in a tenner, I look at the coins,

and send them back not wrapped in the tenner, with a note that says they are 'really nice', or 'wow- rare in  this lovely condition' etc. etc.....

Everyone wins!

What if they all 1967 pennies?

If the owner loves and appreciates it, what's the problem?

Does it have to have high monetary value or be rare?

10 hours ago, Chingford said:

Works for me

This is what I get.

When I click on "OK", I get the sign in prompt screen which auto populates with my user name and password. When I click "sign in" on that, it just reverts immediately to screen 1. When I click on "sign up" (in case the system has forgotten me), I also just get screen 1. It's now the same on three separate devices using different service providers. 

Obviously if you can get in, then there's a mysterious technical problem at my end. I'll call LCA today and try to find out what the issue is.   

sorry.PNG

sorry 1.PNG

I have just noticed that LCA is no longer selling CGS coins on its website. 

59 minutes ago, Sword said:

I have just noticed that LCA is no longer selling CGS coins on its website. 

It's all a bit weird and inconclusive. I will e mail rather than call, and then show their reply on here. 

Hopefully it will be straight facts.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

This is what I get.

When I click on "OK", I get the sign in prompt screen which auto populates with my user name and password. When I click "sign in" on that, it just reverts immediately to screen 1. When I click on "sign up" (in case the system has forgotten me), I also just get screen 1. It's now the same on three separate devices using different service providers. 

Obviously if you can get in, then there's a mysterious technical problem at my end. I'll call LCA today and try to find out what the issue is.   

sorry.PNG

The site doesn't work with Chrome.  I can only sign in using an Apple device.

2 hours ago, Varietalis said:

The site doesn't work with Chrome.  I can only sign in using an Apple device.

Really - oh well, I'll forget it then. That sounds a bit too Mickey Mouse for them to be taken seriously.  

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Really - oh well, I'll forget it then. That sounds a bit too Mickey Mouse for them to be taken seriously.  

Agreed, which is a shame because the LCGS website could be a really good reference resource if only LC had the inclination to exploit its potential.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It's all a bit weird and inconclusive. I will e mail rather than call, and then show their reply on here. 

Hopefully it will be straight facts.

Sorry, they are still selling CGS coins. The "choice English coins" tab has been removed but they are still selling at the bottom of their web page.