British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

mick1271

1905 Halfcrown

Looking for a 1905 Half crown .Not looking for anything special , just a gap filler .There is a dealer selling some for £325 on Ebay , but would prefer to ask about before I buy one .Something similar for a bit cheaper (preferred) , or something a touch better for the same price .

Many thanks 

Mick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284108174604?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=585599426080&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Don't pay £325 for one of those!! Barely worth £100 I'd say, most of them aren’t even Fair.

£150 for one of the better ones I'd say. For £325 you'd want one in NF condition. They really aren’t that rare in low grades as you can see from that dealer's pictures.

This page at London Coins will give you a more realistic picture hopefully.

https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Halfcrown+1905&category=9&searchtype=1

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 1

You might find some cheap ones on alibaba in china

33 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Don't pay £325 for one of those!! Barely worth £100 I'd say, most of them aren’t even Fair.

£150 for one of the better ones I'd say. For £325 you'd want one in NF condition. They really aren’t that rare in low grades as you can see from that dealer's pictures.

This page at London Coins will give you a more realistic picture hopefully.

https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Halfcrown+1905&category=9&searchtype=1

Looking at past results .ones in similar condition are £150 -250 .I know they were slightly pricey and massively overgraded as well .Hence why I thought I would ask on the forum first .The lack of collectors fairs up north is making it harder to pick up bargains.

Edited by mick1271

21 minutes ago, copper123 said:

You might find some cheap ones on alibaba in china

Not my thing , although I do have a 1933 penny of oriental origins .Collecting on a budget can be frustrating at times .

On 7/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, mick1271 said:

Looking at past results .ones in similar condition are £150 -250 .I know they were slightly pricey and massively overgraded as well .Hence why I thought I would ask on the forum first .The lack of collectors fairs up north is making it harder to pick up bargains.

That's the problem with eBay - any 'famous' coin is usually vastly overpriced. You'd be better off trying from a dealer or auction - if the former, make sure they have a decent returns policy.

Apart from the grading issue, I am stunned that anyone could say that "a coin will be selected at random from the chosen condition" for an asking price of over £300! I want to know exactly what I am getting for anything costing more than £10.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sword said:

Apart from the grading issue, I am stunned that anyone could say that "a coin will be selected at random from the chosen condition" for an asking price of over £300! I want to know exactly what I am getting for anything costing more than £10.

I got a nice 1904 penny that was advertised like that .I asked for pics and the seller sent me 3 to choose from .If he had told me it was pot luck , I wouldn't have bothered. I would have went down the same route with these.

16 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's the problem with eBay - any 'famous' coin is usually vastly overpriced. You'd be better off trying from a dealer or auction - if the former, make sure they have a decent returns policy.

I am struggling to find one within my budget . Michael Gouby has a couple , but they are no better grade /price than the ebay ones . I have found a few other dealers wanting more for poorer examples. The more I look , the ones on Ebay are looking more reasonably priced (at least for the better ones).

I would normally pick this type of thing up at my local collectors fairs , but they stopped due to Covid , and aren't starting up again .Scotland has only a handful of dealers and even less collectors fairs .

Makes me think my own (not very good) example would fetch over £300..

819116239_1905halfcobv.jpg.632628c79cbb39085ef97bef4f67b154.jpg 422577265_1905halfcrev.jpg.e1ace07206d7f7a3aa4215764a58d080.jpg

• Like 6

Or mine! More tarnished but maybe more detail?

1140110009_1905HC1-side.thumb.JPG.24e1c039b884fd594011bafeaf24822b.JPG

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Yes indeed. A nice bold fine example to my eyes. 

50 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Makes me think my own (not very good) example would fetch over £300..

A nice collectable example. And I disagree, I think it is very good :-) (grading that is)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Would probably set you back  £500 nowadays.My 1905 florin has the same sort of colour /tone .

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 8:57 PM, Paddy said:

That's what LC would describe as 'bold fine' and would probably set you back quite a bit more than £500. (Could possibly do with a - very brief - dip?)

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's what LC would describe as 'bold fine' and would probably set you back quite a bit more than £500. (Could possibly do with a - very brief - dip?)

I wouldn't myself. When a coin is worn, tarnish / toning tends to highlight the remaining details. For example, you can just make out the "I" of honi thanks to the toning.

I am not going to risk dipping it - I quite like the exaggerated detail that comes with the toning.

I will leave any cleaning to my successors in its custodianship.

It looks like you have two different chemical processes going on anyway....you have the greying, but also that greenish finish

on the neck and behind the head.  I have a feeling that one will remain and stand out unpleasantly.

I would go as far as a brush with soap, or maybe a solvent, but no dipping.....