British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

Any garden pics this year?

On 7/21/2021 at 8:33 PM, copper123 said:

On the subject of gardens again one of my faves is powys castle in mid wales the yews are a particular wonder  it pretty good in august- september, esp when the dahlias are out Bidulph grange staffs  also has a lovely display of dalias come sept

Finally did that castle- superb gardens, especially if you are into trees...

10 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Finally did that castle- superb gardens, especially if you are into trees...

was on antiques road show sunday as well

What slow cold start after a cold shock- clematis almost non- existent, caesalpinia gilliesii may be about to shoot, but may be dead,

and in the greenhouse the turmeric is stubbornly refusing to throw up shoots. 

Only one overwintering echium survived this year, but a whole crop of seedlings popped up

in the compost when I re-potted the Confederate Rose, which I hope chooses this year to start flowering,

but things better warm up for that to happen......

I had to type 'echium' so many times until i managed to stop this site from typing 'schism'....

.....having schisms popping up in the garden would really be surreal.....:-)

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

What slow cold start after a cold shock- clematis almost non- existent, caesalpinia gilliesii may be about to shoot, but may be dead,

and in the greenhouse the turmeric is stubbornly refusing to throw up shoots. 

Only one overwintering echium survived this year, but a whole crop of seedlings popped up

in the compost when I re-potted the Confederate Rose, which I hope chooses this year to start flowering,

but things better warm up for that to happen......

I had to type 'echium' so many times until i managed to stop this site from typing 'schism'....

.....having schisms popping up in the garden would really be surreal.....:-)

We haven't really had many properly warm days yet (although of course, when we're not plagued by North Sea Cloud), the Sun is very hot.

We're on the cold side of a stubborn anticyclone centred to the North West and dragging in air from the North East. Clear nights are going to feel especially nippy at the moment because the humidity is very low 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

We haven't really had many properly warm days yet (although of course, when we're not plagued by North Sea Cloud), the Sun is very hot.

We're on the cold side of a stubborn anticyclone centred to the North West and dragging in air from the North East. Clear nights are going to feel especially nippy at the moment because the humidity is very low 

I think these warm sunny days with a cooling breeze are absolutely wonderful. God help us when the really hot weather arrives, as per last summer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I think these warm sunny days with a cooling breeze are absolutely wonderful. God help us when the really hot weather arrives, as per last summer.

Opinions vary. Like you, I prefer it like this - at least when the sun's out. Living in the South West as you do, you will have been less affected by North Sea cloud, which can persist all day at times in the East and Midlands - no hills whatever to prevent it rolling straight across the Midlands. Was clear today after a cloudy start, though. 

Went out for a quick spin on the bike earlier, and I must admit, even the the Sun was still up, it did feel decidedly nippy, due to wind chill. Of course on very hot days (and nights), wind chill is a Godsend. 

• Like 1

My lovely bottle brush tree died during the winter along with a few other temp sensitive plants , but at the moment the garden is just a pleasure to be in and its still work in progress on it a true labour  of love

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, copper123 said:

My lovely bottle brush tree died during the winter along with a few other temp sensitive plants , but at the moment the garden is just a pleasure to be in and its still work in progress on it a true labour  of love

Spot on - sat out today in the garden, and it really couldn't have been better weather. Hot sun, nice ambient temperature of 21 degrees, and a pleasant breeze. Idyllic. 

the great thing about a garden or even a back yard is its your space you dont have to spend a fortune on it as long as you give it plenty basic work a  few hours a week it will pay you back a hundred fold

Just had my garden re-landscaped by an 'approved' landscaper. All I can say is that if you want a job done properly, make sure you go and see first hand the quality of the work that gets done. 

I certainly wouldn't be happy to put my name to the job as a company, and you should never hear ''It'll be behind the shed, so you won't see it'' from someone you're paying through the nose for.

Anyway, I'll put up some before and after pics when I can get round to it. Even though it's an average at best job, it's still an improvement on the last.

Sadly there are many people who will take advantage of someone who cannot (due to age or other reasons) do their garden I have been improving mine for nearly four years now and even some of the basics like the pond i have planned to do have not been done .

There will come a time when I cannot do heavy work , its rapidly aproaching

If only life was as easy as "Garden Rescue"

I bought the loveliest little Acer from asda the other day for a fantastic £4 for that price you are not to bothered if it fails to mak it into next year

16 hours ago, copper123 said:

I bought the loveliest little Acer from asda the other day for a fantastic £4 for that price you are not to bothered if it fails to mak it into next year

Acers are stunners. I have several of them and have had great success, although the ones I've planted in my customers gardens have been a mixed bunch. At £4, that's less than a pint so well worth it.

This Acer was put in my front yard in about 2008 and literally only as thick as broomstick. Now it's about a 6"trunk so obviously in the right spot.

AcerA.jpg

AcerB.jpg

• Like 5

totally stunning , acers are to gardeners now as rhodenendrons were to the victorian gardener.

They can be a bit fussy with the soil they are in, but when they like a position the really excell themselves

Edited by copper123

Here is a before and after pics of the back garden. I haven't got pictures of it planted yet as that's a work in progress.

GardenA.jpg

Just now, Kipster said:

Here is a before and after pics of the back garden. I haven't got pictures of it planted yet as that's a work in progress.

GardenA.jpg

Couldn't add the second one, so here it is

GardenB.jpg

• Like 3

Looking better certainly - its got lots of promise

19 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Looking better certainly - its got lots of promise

It's a big improvement on the last, but still the up-close finish is lacking. As someone once said to me in the 90's, "nice from far, but far from nice", and I've never forgotten it.

We get plagued by tree rats here, so pots will be at a minimum which is a shame as they give you so much more versatility. I need to get a Jack Russell, a proper countryman's dog.

• Haha 1

Is that artificial grass i spot there, tut, tut.

A shotgun does wonders against tree rats I here , its not illegal as they are immigrants .They make a great stew I here.

A couple of outdoor chairs would give it more a lived in feel.

Edited by copper123

5 hours ago, Kipster said:

Couldn't add the second one, so here it is

Looking very neat and classy now, Kipster

I don't have any before pictures, but these are two just taken a few minutes ago. Garden still a work in progress, although much less to do now. 

First pic shows the view from the top to the bottom of the garden. The second is a side view from where I was standing which shows two trees, the new grass and a glimpse of the new fence panels. The ones at the side are next door's responsibility. Don't know about anyone else but can't stand those short arse fence panels, as anybody can just gawp in at you (not that they do in all fairness).

garden 1.jpg

garden 2.jpg

13 hours ago, copper123 said:

Is that artificial grass i spot there, tut, tut.

A shotgun does wonders against tree rats I here , its not illegal as they are immigrants .They make a great stew I here.

A couple of outdoor chairs would give it more a lived in feel.

Nope, that's as fresh as a daisy new turf. Artificial grass is anathema to me as someone that maintains gardens for a living. Absolutely hate it.

And unfortunately I live next door to someone that loves the bloody tree rats, and the actual rats that have now been disturbed by the other neighbours building work and are running all over the show. Real pests, and so are the rats as well.

11 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Looking very neat and classy now, Kipster

I don't have any before pictures, but these are two just taken a few minutes ago. Garden still a work in progress, although much less to do now. 

First pic shows the view from the top to the bottom of the garden. The second is a side view from where I was standing which shows two trees, the new grass and a glimpse of the new fence panels. The ones at the side are next door's responsibility. Don't know about anyone else but can't stand those short arse fence panels, as anybody can just gawp in at you (not that they do in all fairness).

Thanks mate. It cost enough and it won't be being done again in my lifetime.

That's a nice sized plot you have there. Plenty of opportunity to change things if you wanted to, and to get it how you want it to look. 

1 hour ago, Kipster said:

Nope, that's as fresh as a daisy new turf. Artificial grass is anathema to me as someone that maintains gardens for a living. Absolutely hate it.

And unfortunately I live next door to someone that loves the bloody tree rats, and the actual rats that have now been disturbed by the other neighbours building work and are running all over the show. Real pests, and so are the rats as well.

Thanks mate. It cost enough and it won't be being done again in my lifetime.

That's a nice sized plot you have there. Plenty of opportunity to change things if you wanted to, and to get it how you want it to look. 

Thanks. It's very good to sit in and relax - and at night when the house is so hot in the current weather, it's so much more comfortable sitting outside for a bit, especially if there's a slight cooling breeze. I would not like to be without my garden.

As far as pigeons, there's an abundance of them round here as well. The old girl next door feeds them, so it just attracts more. Not good.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

I know not everywhere got it, but for those who did, the heavy thundery rain of yesterday, will really have done the gardens good. They needed a drink - and there's more forecast for tomorrow in many areas.

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I know not everywhere got it, but for those who did, the heavy thundery rain of yesterday, will really have done the gardens good. They needed a drink - and there's more forecast for tomorrow in many areas.

Tonight there could be heavy rain in the SW - and overnight is the ideal time!

4 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Tonight there could be heavy rain in the SW - and overnight is the ideal time!

Yes. I've just watched the BBC News weather forecast which confirmed that. Should be arriving here in the South Midlands by about 5am.

Round here we had two or three pulses of heavy to torrential rain, each lasting 2 or three hours. The last of which was indeed during the night, between about 11pm and 2am. More moderate in intensity this time.  

• Like 1