British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

Any garden pics this year?

Don't know about anyone else but mines bloomin' lovely this year.

Its all the sun and rain  no faded lawns that need the rain like in the past few years

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Don't know about anyone else but mines bloomin' lovely this year

Pictures please!

Mines gone mad:

881941226_P10507002.jpeg.e2d3f4f82ea26a3f5e4bebcdba332302.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My favourite Canna: 'Shenandoah'.

Queen Victoria's favourite as well.

Great dark leaves, but you can _never_ capture with a camera just how unusual and captivating the pink hue is- nothing else like it.

A bugger to grow- needs heat- you can lose one to a cold spell at the drop of a hat.

910441629_P10506992.jpeg.6303853cd40046b4dee82e6ad18426a4.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, copper123 said:

Don't know about anyone else but mines bloomin' lovely this year.

Its all the sun and rain  no faded lawns that need the rain like in the past few years

What I find with a 'disappointing' wet month in early summer is the spin-off,

if you have a small garden where plants often struggle for light:

in a cloudy month, the light levels are lower, but the light is diffused, so it gets into the dark corners,

where direct sun never would.

Consequently, all the edges and underplanting that frame a garden come to life and shows off for once.

This year is their time.

Edited by blakeyboy
speling

I am pretty lucky, most of back garden gets sun all summer and the much smaller front one gets very little - its great for bulbs though - I mean to plant loads of spring ones in october , snowdrops and crocus are just lovely .

• Like 1

Emerging from the jungle.
The rain has made it go crazy but nice and shaded in the current weather pattern.

1112196974_IMG_8465jungle.jpg.e0f68544415c777bb6e633eff0fe98c1.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I am pretty lucky, most of back garden gets sun all summer and the much smaller front one gets very little - its great for bulbs though - I mean to plant loads of spring ones in october , snowdrops and crocus are just lovely .

Ah yes- but has your, what sounds like a North facing front garden, got a big sky?

Our friend has a newish farmhouse, and the back is North facing, but huge sky.

It's amazing what does well there -  sun-loving stuff I struggle with in my small south-facing back garden.

Big big sky makes things so much easier.

35 minutes ago, Fubar said:

Emerging from the jungle.
The rain has made it go crazy but nice and shaded in the current weather pattern.

1112196974_IMG_8465jungle.jpg.e0f68544415c777bb6e633eff0fe98c1.jpg

Is that a Gin Palace in the distance?

• Haha 2

7foot hollyhocks is my  big success this year.

• Like 2

Edited by RLC35

12 ft Sunflowers

Sunflowers.thumb.jpg.b244c73c2295bf243008f980ef76af9c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Is that a Gin Palace in the distance?

Could be if I drank gin but I'm strictly a beer man and it's ideally shaded for a long cold drink in the evening.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the subject of gardens again one of my faves is powys castle in mid wales the yews are a particular wonder  it pretty good in august- september, esp when the dahlias are out Bidulph grange staffs  also has a lovely display of dalias come sept

• Like 2

I've been meaning to go to Powis Castle for years and years and still haven't....

15 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I've been meaning to go to Powis Castle for years and years and still haven't....

Its a bit out in the sticks but a great day out - like I said august or september for me with the garden, just because the dahlias are at their best then.

My back garden is currently receiving a makeover, myself having now decided that the eco friendly letting it go wild excuse for lazy gits, just didn't work. Looked a shambles. The guy who's doing it has only been three times and already it looks transformed. Still a bit more to do though. Only charged me just over £600 so far for what looks like really hard work over 5 hour days - that's less than I'd spend on many coins.  When he's finished I'm giving him a substantial tip, he deserves it.

Also had turf put in at the top of the garden (where it looked a particular mess) and new fence panels. 

I'm not a pretty colourful flowers guy, but I do like bushes, trees and greenery. I'll post some pics when done (for what it's worth)

Lucky with the turf as the installer emphasised the need to keep it watered in the first 2 or 3 weeks. But there was so much rain I didn't need to bother.  

Mine is much like yours before the makeover.
I've not bothered with any planting this year apart from some gladioli corms left over from last year.
Fortunately the globe artichokes, primroses and the campinola (?) can be relied upon to take the eye away from the rest of the jungle.
The "grass" is fighting a losing battle with the moss as usual but you can't really tell when it's been scalped.

630874603_Pleasantgardening.JPG.d4d2c09f9ee307ea00d1e51ec0816534.JPG

Not sure what he was looking for in our suburban Yorkshire border but he didn't find it.

• Like 2

A young visitor in our garden yesterday , dont see many in Manchester especially during the day.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 6

On 5/17/2023 at 12:36 PM, Fubar said:

campinola (?)

Campanula ? (blue, bell-shaped flowers)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Campanula ? (blue, bell-shaped flowers)

That's the one. 👍

Also comes in white.

I haven't had my garden take such a winter hammering for years.

There was a 4 day period in mid-December where it stayed below zero by day, but by night was -5, -6 and -8....

1 dahlia left, 1 tiny canna shoot left, in very well sheltered large covered tubs, that have been there for 20 years.

I have a cordyline australis that is now mush.

I have just put out my tropical stuff, the latest in the year I have done that for 15 years.

My clematis have been hammered, too.

But, there are upsides - anyone else with the happiest-looking roses for years?

It's like they enjoyed the freeze...

Yes it was a bad winter for my little yard garden too .  I try cover things but even a small sheltered yard could not stay warm enough.   I think it was the warm then deep freeze cycles we went through.   Still a lot  came back green and lush ...resilience in nature .  It took ages for spring to get going we still have bluebells and the odd daffodils here in the grim North East 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 6:30 PM, blakeyboy said:

I have a cordyline australis that is now mush.

My 3 tiered cordyline also bit the dust. I've cut the trunks down to ground level and with luck they will regrow - it did once before when the same happened.

No big leaves yet- far too early.

Only put out the tropical stuff this week.

1388804655_DSC017542.jpeg.f0e25b9c409981210b623807eb609764.jpeg313811219_DSC017532.jpeg.02d426777a755fb315a3695426b62fdf.jpeg

• Like 3