British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Artisan

Protection of Uncleaned Coins after Cleaning

Hello,

As I am a newcomer to collecting coins I would like some advice concerning protecting coins once cleaned. Because I would like to collect Roman coins as well as other eras I decided to purchase some inexpensive uncleaned Roman coins that presumably had been found by metal detecting. I thought that the coins would be a good place to start practising cleaning techniques and coin identification. Now I understand how to remove the encrusted debris so that's not a problem but I have also read that the cleaned coins should be coated in beeswax. Unfortunately I have not been able to find out if the wax coating should be applied using a beeswax block or some sort of wax paste. If anyone could let me know I would very grateful.

Certainly patinated Roman bronze coins were traditionally coated with wax, which would need to be made into a paste beforehand with an appropriate solvent (or use a proprietary polish) but I feel that it tends to fill in the detail, letters etc and normally leave my found bronze un-coated, or give a thin coating of an archival (and removable) lacquer, such as Incralac which can be purchased in small quantities online.

Jerry

Thank you for the information concerning the finishing of coins and the lacquer. I'll have a look for it online. Thanks again.

Cleaning roman is a lot harder than you might think - remember 1800 years of gunk aint easy to get rid of without spoiling the coin , many metal detector coins are hopeless cases

• Like 1