British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Ebay imports from the EU

Here we go. As suspected, ebay appear to be imposing a blanket 20% import VAT on coins from the EU. This 1813 IOM halfpenny should qualify for the 5% rate being an 'antique coin over 100 years old'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255041253270?hash=item3b61a4af96:g:gsYAAOSw7a9g4goA

They are adding a line saying + 20% VAT on new listings. Old listings will probably not show it until purchased because the old listing number applies indefinitely on an automatic relist. Bid accordingly, or better still avoid. If in doubt, leave it out.

So with regard to whether the coin is over 100 years old or not, presumably they establish that when they bust the packet open? Or do they?

As usual the entire process seems shrouded in a weird mystery, without explicit facts and figures. 

What I am doing is to print the tax invoices off ebay, showing 20% vat, and saving them up to send to the revenue with the appropriate claim form for the refund. Apparently it does work, though I won’t be holding my breath!  Can’t remember the form offhand, though it was discussed here previously.

Jerry

• Like 1

Hmmm, seems I might have to claim the refund through EBay by using the link at the bottom of this page. I’ll give it a go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=2&pos=2&query=Paying tax on eBay purchases&intent=tax#section1

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

What I am doing is to print the tax invoices off ebay, showing 20% vat, and saving them up to send to the revenue with the appropriate claim form for the refund. Apparently it does work, though I won’t be holding my breath!  Can’t remember the form offhand, though it was discussed here previously.

Jerry

Might be one of these two Jerry, depending on whether or not the item comes in via Royal Mail/Parcelforce, or another courier. 

• You can use form BOR 286 to reclaim import VAT and customs duties if your items were delivered by Royal Mail or Parcelforce.
  • For other couriers you can use form C285.

SOURCE: click/tap here

Well, I’ve made my claim to EBay first using their VAT reclaim facility. I should get back about £60. Ha! We’ll see what happens, I’ve sent them all the tax paid statements in pdf form,  as downloaded from the order details page for each item and an explanation for my claim. I’ll update this page in due course.

Jerry

Here is the Ebay reply, nice enough but essentially a denial of responsibility.

" Hello Dr. Jeremy

I hope you are keeping well. I'm sorry to hear your VAT has been charged incorrectly on your items. The VAT rate we charge would be based on the VAT rate provided in your listing and the country the buyer is in. You can find all the information we have on VAT in the UK on our help and contact page or by following this link. https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/listings/default/vat-obligations-uk-eu?id=4650&st=12&pos=1&query=Your%20VAT%20obligations%20in%20the%20UK%20%26%20EU&intent=VAT&context=9062_SELLER&docId=HELP1369

When we charge VAT on the site, it automatically gets sent over to HMRC. Due to this we do not have the facility to refund funds that were charged as VAT. I would be recommending to contact HMRC as you can apply for refunds directly from them, following any advice they give, we can go through your current listings to confirm that the correct VAT rate is set for the remainder of them.

If you need any further assistance with this, please let me know and I would be happy to help.

Thanks again and have a lovely day.

Kind Regards

Leighann

eBay Concierge"

I will contact the revenue and get their response.

Jerry

Will be interesting to see if you are successful Jerry. I have used that form only once to attempt recovery of about £20, sent recorded but never had a reply from the Revenue!!

I wonder if eBay earn interest on the tax money collected, before graciously popping it into the Revenue's bank account, a few days after receiving it.?

9 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

I wonder if eBay earn interest on the tax money collected, before graciously popping it into the Revenue's bank account, a few days after receiving it.?

Almost certainly. Back in the 1970s, when I first joined BT (Post Office then), billing payments were always deposited twice a day, with an extra 1/2 day interest for the morning banking. Mind you interest rates were much higher then, so it was probably well worth while, but even now it is a simple and easy way to earn money without doing much.

56 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Almost certainly. Back in the 1970s, when I first joined BT (Post Office then), billing payments were always deposited twice a day, with an extra 1/2 day interest for the morning banking. Mind you interest rates were much higher then, so it was probably well worth while, but even now it is a simple and easy way to earn money without doing much.

Even more worth while if your charging 20%, as opposed to 5%.