British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

blakeyboy

Ebay fees???!!?!?!

My wife sold 20 coin lots last week, which totalled £315.

Out of this we got £181.......

That's a 47% fee, or is my maths wrong?

That certainly doesn’t seem right, should be somewhere around 10% I think. Could they have carried some of the sales receipts over to the next month given their new invoicing system? Needs clarification I would say.

Jerry

• Like 1

Actually it's more like 43%, but Erica is waiting for more info on how it's made up....

Should be more like 25% -30%

Definitely basic 10% of final price although VAT could take it up to 12% and PayPal and listing fees may also factor, so 15 to 17% might seem reasonable. More than 40% certainly isn’t.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-private-sellers?id=4364

Jerry

7 hours ago, jelida said:

Definitely basic 10% of final price although VAT could take it up to 12% and PayPal and listing fees may also factor, so 15 to 17% might seem reasonable. More than 40% certainly isn’t.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-private-sellers?id=4364

Jerry

As a regular seller, I am sure you are aware of the following, but I restate it for the record..

There are a many added fees for additional services which, IF you use them can add up very rapidly (ie: bold, picture paks, highlighted, additional country site,  etc.).

On a lower priced item, these fees can vastly increase your cost percentage.  These fees are less likely to be as obvious nor skew your percentages on a higher priced sale.

Another factor to consider is the cost of listing and relisting items that do not sell the first time around.

It's very easy to jack your costs up with little or no appreciative added value to your gross sale. The fees only serve to cut into your net profit and/or increase your expenses.

• Like 2

I have sold a few low value coins recently on eBay, not having done so for quite a while, and was unpleasantly surprised to discover that they include postage as part of the price on which they base their commission. How can that be fair? Is there a worthwhile alternative to eBay?

They have charged commission on postage for quite a few years now. The legitimate reason is that people were dodging paying it by listing a valuable item at £0.99 and then charging £100s for postage.

Having said that, I have given up with selling on Ebay - the last lot of rule changes, including requirement to give direct access to your bank account, proof of ID and VAT on international sales, were all too much for me. I have not started selling anywhere else yet, although others I know have gone to Etsy. (By the way, that platform is now inundated with fakes and just like Ebay they do nothing when these are reported.)

Ebay has always been a law unto itself. I haven'T bought nor sold on there for years now, it's went downhill and they want far too much of your money.

It's golden years are in the past now IMO they were 2005 - 2015  that was the time many decent collections were sold off - few come on sale now though joe lee has been selling a decent collection - one that include many rarely seen coins.

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

It's golden years are in the past now IMO they were 2005 - 2015  that was the time many decent collections were sold off - few come on sale now though joe lee has been selling a decent collection - one that include many rarely seen coins.

Agreed. It's not the force it once was as far as coins are concerned.

On 11/22/2021 at 8:05 PM, 1949threepence said:

Agreed. It's not the force it once was as far as coins are concerned.

They shot themselves in the foot, far too greedy, excessive fees, changes to the feedback system, dispute system was always one sided, the list was endless, haven't used it in years to be honest