British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Or kill them illegally

Thinking about it, you could just put your cat in the loft for a couple of hours. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Thinking about it, you could just put your cat in the loft for a couple of hours. 

I think you might find that would work  , depends how fast they are  and according to "Alice in wonderland" they are pretty slow , in fact usually asleep

• Haha 1

Does anybody know what the plant/weed, whatever, is in the photo below? It's abundant in my garden and weed killer will not get rid of it. The stuff is totally impervious. For example in the paving cracks, the weedol will eliminate everything else but that. It just will not die.

unknown weed.jpg

Try pouring household bleach on it Michael, that will usually kill anything!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Try pouring household bleach on it Michael, that will usually kill anything!

I might well try that Bob. Thanks for the tip.

ETA: By the way are you being affected by the intense heat in the USA at the moment, or is it mainly the Western side? I heard Canada (Lytton British Columbia) had a temperature of 49.6 degrees recently (that's 121 degrees F in USA money). Unreal.   

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I think it is called Horsetail or Mare's Tail. See https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=257 for advice.

Looks like it is definitely that. Thanks for the tip and link, Paddy.

Edited by 1949threepence

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I might well try that Bob. Thanks for the tip.

ETA: By the way are you being affected by the intense heat in the USA at the moment, or is it mainly the Western side? I heard Canada (Lytton British Columbia) had a temperature of 49.6 degrees recently (that's 121 degrees F in USA money). Unreal.   

Looks like it is definitely that. Thanks for the tip and link, Paddy.

Mike,

The temperature where I live in Indiana is about normal for the summer months, usually 70- 95 degrees. In the desert Southwest though, the temperature set a record of 130 degrees last month!

All the Best,

Bob

• Like 1

I was in Furnace Creek, Death Valley a few years ago and it was 47˚C which was enough.

I heard today that somewhere in California has done the highest _minimum_ temperature ever in the Northern Hemisphere:

42˚C in the middle of the night!!!!  Can you imagine trying to sleep?  I lost a night's sleep once in 34˚C and it was psychological torture.

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

I think it is called Horsetail or Mare's Tail. See https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=257 for advice.

Yep- a very very old plant- a relic of the Jurassic. I just kept pulling up each piece I saw and it gave up.

Roots can only hold so much sugar to fuel new growth, and if you pull shoots before they have had time to photosynthesise 

much more sugar to replenish the root stores, it eventually just runs out of fuel.

Same trick works with bind weed, but with both plants you have to really be on the case at least twice a week.

One season, gone.

• Like 1

It has taken me about 10 years to completely remove from my vegetable plot. After very little early success I decided not to grow vegetables one year and instead completely covered the vegetable plot with old 'hessian backed' carpets.............and it happily grew through those too!!

I have managed to find weed killer which kills them if on the patio.............but clearly you cannot spray that over your vegetable plot.........so you just had to dig deep to get to the bottom of the roots as soon as they appear. They gradually disappear over the years with a lot of effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

I was in Furnace Creek, Death Valley a few years ago and it was 47˚C which was enough.

I heard today that somewhere in California has done the highest _minimum_ temperature ever in the Northern Hemisphere:

42˚C in the middle of the night!!!!  Can you imagine trying to sleep?  I lost a night's sleep once in 34˚C and it was psychological torture.

Yes 107.7F (-32/9 x 5) = 42.06C.

Apparently that too was Death Valley. I only got as far as the google headline. The Washington Post report was hidden behind a paywall.

Difficult to imagine.