British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

myt

Book recommendation for hammered Scottish coinage

Hi, 

I was looking for suggestions if anyone could point me to a good single reference for hammered Scottish coinage (primarily interested in silver, but I assume books will likely cover most). Or if there are any particularly good articles highlighting James VI  coinage (as Morrieson did for James I in an article for BNJ). Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Michael

7 hours ago, myt said:

Hi, 

I was looking for suggestions if anyone could point me to a good single reference for hammered Scottish coinage (primarily interested in silver, but I assume books will likely cover most). Or if there are any particularly good articles highlighting James VI  coinage (as Morrieson did for James I in an article for BNJ). Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Michael

The original Scottish reference was Coinage of Scotland by Edward Burns written towards the end of the 19th century. B H I H Stewart, (Lord Stewartby) wrote 'The Scottish Coinage' in 1953 whilst still at school. I have a second impression copy from 1976. Coincraft did a Scottish, Irish, Channel Islands and IOM volume in 1999. The BNJ has articles on Scottish coins in volumes 19, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 33, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 44, 48, 49, 50, 53, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 66, 67. There will be more from 2000 on, but my index only covers vols. 1-69.

I don't collect Scottish, so will have to think about other articles. There will be something in the Numismatic Chronicle and the Numismatic Circular. That's a start.

• Thanks 1

I use the Coincraft book that Rob mentions. I am not in general a fan of Coincraft, but this book is not bad and at least is not printed on toilet paper, like some of theirs.

I picked it up very cheap at a coin club auction. It is on Amazon but currently cheapest is just over £80.

• Thanks 1