British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coin addict

these coins on e-bay

does anyone know what they might be. the seller has put this description and no picture of the fron of them the bidding is only at £3. are they worth bidding on?

Two coins offered - unknown vintage or history. 'gold' coloured coin (may be a copy who knows!) says GEORGIVS III DEI GRATIA on head side and on reverse says 'In memory of the good old days 1797' with shield (coat of arms?) and crown.

Other coin, believe to be genuine, is so worn that nothing can be made out on it.

'Gold' coloured measures approx. 1" diameter and other worn example measures about 7/8". Please feel free to email me with any questions, though I really don't know any more about these examples.

back of coins

post-31-1115042008_thumb.jpg

does anyone know what they might be. the seller has put this description and no picture of the fron of them the bidding is only at £3. are they worth bidding on?

Two coins offered - unknown vintage or history. 'gold' coloured coin (may be a copy who knows!) says GEORGIVS III DEI GRATIA on head side and on reverse says 'In memory of the good old days 1797' with shield (coat of arms?) and crown.

Other coin, believe to be genuine, is so worn that nothing can be made out on it.

'Gold' coloured measures approx. 1" diameter and other worn example measures about 7/8". Please feel free to email me with any questions, though I really don't know any more about these examples.

back of coins

I wouldn't pay £3 for those. The gold one is brass, and is a gaming token.

Going by the size of the gaming token, and if it is a british coin, I think that the other coin is a farthing.

coin on the left is basal state not worth anything at all. The coin on the right is indeed a gaming token available on ebay for around 1 pound.

let it go

There is nothing wrong with paranumismatics !

The gaming tokens are collectable in their own right.

I've picked up a few along the way...obviously people treat them with contempt because they feel they mimic valuable guineas.

The imitation guineas were produced as throw away souvenirs for theatres and music halls,as gaming counters and for advertising purposes.

They were produced in numbers from about 1860 onwards and were never considered as counterfits.