British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

An unlucky metal detectorist.......

........or just plain stupid? (or both)

Shane Wood made an amazing find of 933 iron age gold staters, last September and handed over most of them to the landowner. But to cut a rather long and circuitous story short, decided to keep some as a momento. Somehow - and I'm not quite sure what the mechanics or timeline were - the police became involved and they searched his house, only to find the outstanding 22 pieces (worth about £10k).

As a result he got community service and the court ordered that his metal detector be destroyed.

If he'd pocketed a few on the spot and handed the rest over in the correct way, he'd probably have got away with it. But he should have sought the permission of the landowner first - and that landowner will now presumably be privy to a very handsome reward. Whereas the finder gets a flea in his ear, metaphorically speaking.

I can't quite see the point in destroying his metal detector, as all he has to do is go on Amazon and buy a new one. 

I can't help feeling a tinge of sympathy for him. He really fell unlucky with this one.

link to story            

Plain stupid, yes. Should have known the law really. Keeping any as a 'momento' was just plain daft. 

"Keeping them as a momento" was his defence, i.e. what he made up to try and keep himself out of bother. ;)

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

"Keeping them as a momento" was his defence, i.e. what he made up to try and keep himself out of bother. ;)

The supreme irony of this is that if he'd obtained the permission of the landowner to detect on his land, "found" them that way, then declared in the prescribed manner, he'd be a wealthy man instead of a criminal.  

Cases like this have occurred before. Some of these detectorists never seem to learn. 

A clue to how he was likely to think is contained in the fact that he's called 'Shane'......:-)

15 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

A clue to how he was likely to think is contained in the fact that he's called 'Shane'......:-)

Surely that's a reflection on his parents' choices? :huh:

• Like 2

The PC police have been notified about this thread and will be calling on some of you shortly....

😎

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Surely that's a reflection on his parents' choices? :huh:

Nature over Nietzsche?

2 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Nature over Nietzsche?

I only know that there's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya 'bout the raising of the wrist...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1