British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

Hammered half penny.

May I also request an ID please?

I've had this for years but have never known for sure exactly which it is. It's one of the Edwards, London, and, at 14mm, I assume a half penny.

Can anyone (Rob?) assign a Spink number? Thanks.

IMG_20210420_152656.jpg

IMG_20210420_152821.jpg

16 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

May I also request an ID please?

I've had this for years but have never known for sure exactly which it is. It's one of the Edwards, London, and, at 14mm, I assume a half penny.

Can anyone (Rob?) assign a Spink number? Thanks.

IMG_20210420_152656.jpg

IMG_20210420_152821.jpg

I did try again last night myself but still no luck.

Is that a cross patée on the obverse, and trefoils in the reverse quarters (or maybe a ship's propellers)? I did think S1558 a possibility, but the obverses don't match. Could it be it's not a half penny and I'm looking in the wrong places?

Edited by Michael-Roo

Nearly. It's an Edward III Florin halfpenny, S1557 and not 1558 as the legend ends in REX and not REX AN.

It's one of these.

c1310 - Edward III 3rd Coinage Halfpenny.JPG

• Like 1

Fabulous! Thank you very much.

On 4/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, Rob said:

Nearly. It's an Edward III Florin halfpenny, S1557 and not 1558 as the legend ends in REX and not REX AN.

It's one of these.

c1310 - Edward III 3rd Coinage Halfpenny.JPG

So, are those trefoils on the reverse of my coin not trefoils at all but pellets flattened by wear ? They certainly don't match the pellets on your lovely coin. Is this why I was searching in the wrong place?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

So, are those trefoils on the reverse of my coin not trefoils at all but pellets flattened by wear ? They certainly don't match the pellets on your lovely coin. Is this why I was searching in the wrong place?

I think it could be a sub variety. My coin is a straightforward Withers type 7, whilst I think yours may be a type 7(i) - described as unusual reverse, very large pellets, almost no inner circle. From punches intended for penny dies? But having never seen what he was referring to when he wrote the book, it is speculation. 'Very large pellets' could use a relative reference point, as could 'almost no inner circle'. Unfortunately, he didn't include an image, so I'm guessing. The three pellets in each quarter can be separate or take the form of a trefoil depending on the placement of the pellets, which are usually relatively small points on this issue.

And as for S1557 or S1558, it depends on the legend and not the bust style, which was made from several punches - shoulders and neck, face, crown, hair. You can't always trust the Spink picture to represent your coin, or at least not for the finer detail on a hammered coin.

Edited by Rob

Very interesting. Thanks again, it's much appreciated.