British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bagerap

Farthing ID please.

Ging by Britannia, I would have expected this to be George II, but he seems to have no neck.

farth-horz-ccfopt.jpg

He shoots, he scores! Brilliantly spotted. It is indeed the Newton evasion. I'd considered unofficial farthings but could find none that matched.

Newton fake yes, contemp made to decieve the public , never to be redeamed

They were made by Kempson, a documented producer of tokens, and not by some murky individual. The allegation they were intended to deceive is questionable given the comical nature of the portrait. They are quite common in decent grade too - must be if I have one.

c1930 1793 token Kempson Isaac Newton farthing.JPG

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

They definately were circulateing coins - halfpennies of this period often had where they could be redeamed on the edge .

By the way i really hope Isacc Newton never looked like pinochio's dad as thui coin seems to surgest

This farthing does not have this information , therefore making it a bit more questionable as curency - there again practically every other copper coin in circulation at the time was either a fake / evasion/or token .

In the end the public at the time not being too bothered about what was in their pocket  their main main worry was who could they pass the coins on too for full face value.

The north and south wales farthings produced in huge quantities look like they might have been produced by the same maker

Edited by copper123