British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

What's the problem with Royal Mail track and trace?

Not working, and keeps inserting captcha pictures, such as "how many motorbikes".

Anybody else, or is it just me?

Won't work on any old numbers either. So not just the package I'm expecting tomorrow. 

I agree this is a pain.

I also get the recaptcha popup on the Track and Trace site but once I match what is asked for I then get access to the site.  Sometimes the selections are not obvious and overlap several squares, so it does take me several attempts.   Also sometimes the pictures refresh so may need multiple presses to clear the item being asked for until the grid is clear of the items.

You could try the headphones option at  the bottom of the recaptcha popup to listen to a phrase that can then be typed in, but I find that option even worse.

If that fails as well, I can only suggest you may try to clear any cookies from Royal Mail as perhaps that has done something to your browser. 

I don't like these extras that need to be answered to gain access to a site.  My understanding is this stops harvesting data by bots but in this case I'm not sure what info could be gained by a automated system as the Track and Trace page does not show my address details or what is in the package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabrejv said:

I agree this is a pain.

I also get the recaptcha popup on the Track and Trace site but once I match what is asked for I then get access to the site.  Sometimes the selections are not obvious and overlap several squares, so it does take me several attempts.   Also sometimes the pictures refresh so may need multiple presses to clear the item being asked for until the grid is clear of the items.

You could try the headphones option at  the bottom of the recaptcha popup to listen to a phrase that can then be typed in, but I find that option even worse.

If that fails as well, I can only suggest you may try to clear any cookies from Royal Mail as perhaps that has done something to your browser. 

I don't like these extras that need to be answered to gain access to a site.  My understanding is this stops harvesting data by bots but in this case I'm not sure what info could be gained by a automated system as the Track and Trace page does not show my address details or what is in the package.

Thanks for the above advice - appreciated.

Interestingly - and somewhat bizarrely - it works no problem on my phone using EE data.

On my tablet it works when using a mifi connected to the Three network, but not when connected to my Virgin Media router. With the mifi the captcha symbol in the bottom right hand corner of the screen does not appear. When using VM it does, with all the attendant irritating problems.

Now that I'm working from home, I also tried my works PC, which is connected to my VM router. It won't work on there either. Same issue.

So it looks as though I'll have to look up future tracked delivery status using a mobile device not connected to Virgin Media. Totally illogical, but a hard fact. Weird.  

Incidentally, I did find that no matter how many times I tried the captcha tests last night, none of them worked. 

It may be that VM is disguising your location, which is triggering a concern and so taking you into Captcha.

I agree though, those Captcha screens are frustrating and sometimes you cannot work out why it didn't work and you have to do it again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

It may be that VM is disguising your location, which is triggering a concern and so taking you into Captcha.

I agree though, those Captcha screens are frustrating and sometimes you cannot work out why it didn't work and you have to do it again!

Possibly, although why that would be, I've no clue. It's always worked OK before. The only event I can tie it into is that I'm now using my works PC via the VM router. That employs a bit locker to encrypt any information traffic to and from the device. Although when switched off, I don't really see why that would have any continuing influence - always assuming it is that. 

As so often, the net effect of these security traps is to frustrate legit accesses.

I don't use a mifi connection  but do have a VM Router connected to cable so can only say the VM on that configuration does work here.  I also have tried a more convoluted connection using a VPN connection in my link and that also worked with a recaptcha.   So sorry I can't think why you have the problem with a mobile router on VM.  I thought the call to the recaptcha site is done by the webpage in this case Royal Mail so why VM in the loop is strange.

2 hours ago, sabrejv said:

I don't use a mifi connection  but do have a VM Router connected to cable so can only say the VM on that configuration does work here.  I also have tried a more convoluted connection using a VPN connection in my link and that also worked with a recaptcha.   So sorry I can't think why you have the problem with a mobile router on VM.  I thought the call to the recaptcha site is done by the webpage in this case Royal Mail so why VM in the loop is strange.

My VM router is cable connected like yours - it's that connection which is causing the issue.

Using a mobile mifi from Three, or my smartphone data, it works no problem.

Just appears to be the cable connected VM router. 

Not calling anyone though or it'll be another hour of my life wasted in a negative experience trying to meaningfully engage with idiots.  

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

I'd say that if you get - say - 4 or 5 right and miss 1, they should accept it. I mean, what are the odds of a bot scoring that high. I can understand if you click one that doesn't contain what's asked for, that's a different story, but missing one: no big deal.

• Like 1