British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

They do make it look pretty though.

20210331_174030c_coins.thumb.jpg.0ab6a079e6beb86f5f56acfa12411183.jpg

This one's advantage is that it's very difficult to knock over.😎

• Like 1

They can look nice but I just find them a bit too heavy. 

20 hours ago, Sword said:

They can look nice but I just find them a bit too heavy. 

Good bit of arm exercise to set you up for later arm wrestling. 💪

On 4/9/2021 at 2:09 AM, myt said:

I agree, it was more of a fun/relevant attempt to combine discussions of beer and numismatics 😄

Based on @Rob‘s post, I assume you acquired the glass? That is a cool way to add one to a collection. While cracked, any chance the glass was used one more time before liberating the coin? A neat notion to think you might have drank a beer from the same glass as someone almost 300 years ago

No, it was broken almost to the base.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:09 AM, myt said:

A neat notion to think you might have drank a beer from the same glass as someone almost 300 years ago

I picked up a wine glass a while back from a charity shop for 50p because I liked the simple design and it was a sensible size. A visitor at Christmas told me it was actually a Georgian rummer, and worth a lot more than 50p. I still use it for my constitutional home made wine every evening.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Paddy said:

I picked up a wine glass a while back from a charity shop for 50p because I liked the simple design and it was a sensible size. A visitor at Christmas told me it was actually a Georgian rummer, and worth a lot more than 50p. I still use it for my constitutional home made wine every evening.

According to an antique TV episode I watched, there are two things worth watching out for. For an antique glass, there are many microscopic scratches on the base due to it being picked up and put down countless times over the centuries. These scratches apparently cannot be faked. In addition, a pontil mark shows it it was hand blown. 

2 hours ago, Sword said:

According to an antique TV episode I watched, there are two things worth watching out for. For an antique glass, there are many microscopic scratches on the base due to it being picked up and put down countless times over the centuries. These scratches apparently cannot be faked. In addition, a pontil mark shows it it was hand blown. 

Yes, it has both those. The design is very plain - no twists or engraving, so was an "every day" piece in its day, which makes it more appealing to me. Also the top rim is not completely level, which suggests it was cheaply made at the time. Not going to be worth a fortune and worth more to me as an interesting old thing to drink my wine out of - knowing that 200+ years ago people were drinking their beer from it.