British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

1893 Jubilee Head Sixpence Copy

Bought this off of eBay recently as a space filler. Advertised as 1893 Queen Victoria Re-Strike Sixpence ~ Silver Plated Coin. The coin features on the obverse the Queen Victoria Jubilee head.

The reverse features the traditional Crowned design with date. This coin is made out of Brass. I only bought this to fill the cap as I don't thing I will ever be able to afford a decent one for the collection.

Just thought I would share this as a record that these are out there, and to show what they look like. I am sure there could be past off as the real thing. At least the seller advertised it as a copy.

400027781_1893SixpenceVictoriaJubileeHeadCOPYRev-horz.thumb.jpg.51adb796f8d4f3c1e86a7f68503f8203.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

The reverse features the traditional Crowned design with date. This coin is made out of Brass. I only bought this to fill the cap as I don't thing I will ever be able to afford a decent one for the collection.

It doesn't look silver plated, it looks more like a standard 189x sixpence with a slightly larger 3 grafted on.  What is the weight and is it standard thickness?

Obverse surfaces a bit granular but unfortunately even the real items are in similar states of "softness" or wear....

19 hours ago, Nick said:

It doesn't look silver plated, it looks more like a standard 189x sixpence with a slightly larger 3 grafted on.  What is the weight and is it standard thickness?

Hi Nick here is a few details for you diameter 19.32mm, thickness 1.13mm and the weight is 2.5gms. I have also added another picture of the date, best closeup I could get.

707279812_1893SixpenceVictoriaJubileeHeadCOPYCloseUpDateRev-horz.jpg.caa4eab093e10fc7176103a332e05332.jpg

1 hour ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Hi Nick here is a few details for you diameter 19.32mm, thickness 1.13mm and the weight is 2.5gms. I have also added another picture of the date, best closeup I could get.

707279812_1893SixpenceVictoriaJubileeHeadCOPYCloseUpDateRev-horz.jpg.caa4eab093e10fc7176103a332e05332.jpg

The surface looks quite porous in the close-up picture.  The diameter is spot on, but the thickness and weight are both under.

Whatever the method of production, it's a pretty good gap-filler.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 2:54 AM, Nick said:

The surface looks quite porous in the close-up picture.

Agreed - cast from dies with a 3 engraved themselves by the looks of it.

• Like 1

Have just noticed  that the 1893 sixpence Obv is rotated similar to Queen Victoria's Young Head examples. Just an extra bit of information incase anyone ever see another one. Like picture below.

214310367_1893SixpenceVictoriaJubileeHeadCOPYRotatedRev-horz.thumb.jpg.f282b72eb988735c8499a9938fec1298.jpg

• Like 1