British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
celtic_coin

A veil head 1893 threepence priced at 600 pounds

39 minutes ago, celtic_coin said:

As the title. Jon Blyth seems to apply the price of 1893 Jubilee head threepence on the price of 1893 veil head threepence. The coin is at least eight times overpriced.

https://jonblyth.com/coins/coin-details.aspx?id=2561

Indeed.  I had a nice old head 1893 3d that sold a couple of weeks back for approx £30.

D1350.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, as you say it must  be a mistake - MS67 just can not give that sort of value!

21 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Wow, as you say it must  be a mistake - MS67 just can not give that sort of value!

Agreed, but he isn't trying to value it, just get as much as he can. And if someone bites..........

Numistacker has stated in a video that he and Jon Blyth are friends. You can tell that from John's website.

5 hours ago, celtic_coin said:

The problem of John Blyth is, he is trying to sell the slab, not the coin.

It still requires someone who believes in the slab and his valuation to buy it. There's a huge number of people who only buy the slab number, so someone might go for it at that level.

Steep prices indeed but you can't argue with the quality. There is a whole world of investors rather collectors out there. The Americans at Heritage and the Japanese seem to be driving tremendous prices. Just sit back and increase your insurance 

20 minutes ago, 1887jubilee said:

Steep prices indeed but you can't argue with the quality. There is a whole world of investors rather collectors out there. The Americans at Heritage and the Japanese seem to be driving tremendous prices. Just sit back and increase your insurance 

That is why for quality coins and rare coins I tend to be more luxury when bidding in the auction. Otherwise they will end up in the hands of "dealers" like Jon, which will turn up with a price I cannot afford.

Edited by celtic_coin

This is getting like the prices for old Fords.

My dad's old Capri is now in £40k+ territory.  Madness.

Trouble is, money isn't worth anything at the moment, but things are.....

Will it all crash down again?

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Trouble is, money isn't worth anything at the moment, but things are.....

Will it all crash down again?

"Pound to a penny" ... yes. Compare the coin market in 1971, and in 1985, and other times too I'm sure. Then think of property in the early 90s, and shares at various different times. Gold in the late 90s. Nothing ever keeps going up.

• Like 1

However even if granted the 67, and I don't think it is for what it's worth, the coin is not scarce and not of such a value. There is an American firm, the proprietor of which gets mad when I bust him out that does much worse than Jon. He knows who he is, but likely cares not and laughs all the way to the bank as he takes coins at 1-5k USD range at auction and then trebles or better their price after slabbing. He is willing to hold for however long and takes "offers" on occasion.

The value of vintage pro-audio doesn't do the ups and downs of gold etc.,

but dealers will put up a piece of gear that is normally £5k on their site for £10k,

everybody spots this and hopes to sell their example, then the unit sells, so they put up 'sold'.

Everyone thinks it's sold for £10k, so by extension theirs is worth £10k, but in fact someone walked in with 5 or 6 grand in cash and 

did the deal.  Meanwhile all the idiots start touting their units all over ebay etc at stupid prices and it's like the Wild West....