British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ODYSSEUS101

NEW COLLECTOR - WORRIES ON STORAGE

Hi everyone & thanks for having me on here,

I’ve recently began collecting pre-decimal silver coins leaning mainly towards half crowns EF or better. Having found that the auctions seem to be the place to purchase good quality coins I’m starting to worry a little on storage. Having looked around & reading a little I’ve went for acrylic cases but also with the white foam inserts to secure in place. ( bought on eBay )

I just wanted to ask anyone more experienced whether they know if the foam inserts can cause any long term issues with the coins. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS101 said:

Hi everyone & thanks for having me on here,

I’ve recently began collecting pre-decimal silver coins leaning mainly towards half crowns EF or better. Having found that the auctions seem to be the place to purchase good quality coins I’m starting to worry a little on storage. Having looked around & reading a little I’ve went for acrylic cases but also with the white foam inserts to secure in place. ( bought on eBay )

I just wanted to ask anyone more experienced whether they know if the foam inserts can cause any long term issues with the coins. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think it is unlikely that there will be any issues. However, if you want peace of mind, then I would suggest buying branded products like Quadrums. 

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/quadrum-coin-capsules-36-c.asp

Quite a few people here swear by them. A cheaper option is 2x2 coin flip (cardboard with transparent window). The option for traditionalists would be the coin cabinet.

• Like 1