British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick

Jubilee head sixpence die pairings

Davies told me about the 2 different obverses, noted after his book was published. I bought a few specimens from him. 

1889, I have pairings 1+A , 1+C , 1+D,  2+A, 2+C and 2+D 

minor varieties, 1+A I have 2, joined leaf and severed leaf. 
2+A I have 3 minor varieties, joined leaf far 9, joined leaf close 9 and severed leaf far 9. 

• Like 2

the ref numbers he gave the pairings were the following 

1164 - 1+C

1165 - 1+D 

1165A - 1+A 

1165B - 2+A 

1165C - 2+C 

1165D - 2+D

Edited by just.me
  • Like 2

Unrecorded:

1472315807_18876dvariety(closeup).jpeg.0baf211b428f88a476e4ecf35793d50d.jpeg2089020888_18876dvariety(scanx2).thumb.jpg.7a3d1e15f78737ed14b8e0512c2af646.jpg

Thanks Nick and just.me - great information.

Is that an 8 over 8?

I would assume not too many pairings on the 1893 Jub?  BTW, check out the specimen shown on the PCGS website under "Pop Report" as it is pictured there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr T said:

Is that an 8 over 8?

It's entirely possible - though what first drew my attention to it was the gap between the 8 and the 7, much wider than on normal issues. One of our fellow members  (who's studied 1887 JH coins in very fine detail) says it's a pattern, but he also says there are very many 'patterns' for this date.

• Like 1

Oh, maybe like the 1887 half crown - do you have a picture of the whole coin? Odd that a pattern would have such an overdate though.

11 hours ago, Mr T said:

Oh, maybe like the 1887 half crown - do you have a picture of the whole coin? Odd that a pattern would have such an overdate though.

I'll try to find one. I agree about the overdate problem, but apparently there are scores of patterns. Ask @1887jubilee

• Like 1

Also that's on a Jubilee head rather than a young head right? And where did you get the images? Are they from an auction? I've had no luck looking for a "wide date" 1887 sixpence.

22 hours ago, Mr T said:

Also that's on a Jubilee head rather than a young head right? And where did you get the images? Are they from an auction? I've had no luck looking for a "wide date" 1887 sixpence.

Yes, it's a JH 6d. I saw it for sale at the Midland Fair 20+ years ago. I would have passed over it as I already had an UNC 1887 6d, but even though it's a small coin, I could see there was something unusual about the date so I bought it.

• Like 1