British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
pokal02

Aelfwald Sceat/Sctyca

I see from the Abramson catalogue that  the Spink 859 type previously attributed to Aelfwald II is now given to Aelfwald I.   Two with the moneyer Eadvini rather than Cuthheard are given to Aelfwald II, although noted as doubtful   Is this the only type/moneyer now attributed to Aelfwald II?

See SCBI 67 by the late Stewart Lyon for an in-depth discussion.

It is very likely that there were no coins issued for the possible “Aelfwald II”.  The coins are probably more appropriately assigned to Aelfwald I, though it is not 100% clear.  There are moneyer coins of Aelfwald by the moneyers Cutheard and Cuthgils.  Cuthgils likely belongs with Aelfwald I as it shares similarity with coins of Aethelred I. Coins of Aelfwald by Cutheard could be from Aelfwald I or II and it’s known that Cutheard coined for Eanred, so there remains a possibility that the Aelfwald/Cutheard coins can be assigned to Aelfwald II.

3 hours ago, Nap said:

See SCBI 67 by the late Stewart Lyon for an in-depth discussion.

It is very likely that there were no coins issued for the possible “Aelfwald II”.  The coins are probably more appropriately assigned to Aelfwald I, though it is not 100% clear.  There are moneyer coins of Aelfwald by the moneyers Cutheard and Cuthgils.  Cuthgils likely belongs with Aelfwald I as it shares similarity with coins of Aethelred I. Coins of Aelfwald by Cutheard could be from Aelfwald I or II and it’s known that Cutheard coined for Eanred, so there remains a possibility that the Aelfwald/Cutheard coins can be assigned to Aelfwald II.

This would have been easy if those dark age folks had learned  to read and write , how lazy of them

• Haha 1