British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

robyn

Edward V11 penny with smooth reverse

I have five one sided coins – three stamped Edward V11 and two stamped George V. They are uniformly smooth – and with uniform edges. They don’t appear to be shove ha’peny coins (too smooth?). They are not Model coins as have no stamp on the reverse at all. I can't find anything online anywhere that looks like them. So I have joined this forum to see if anyone can help. thank you 

Edward V11 coin with smooth reverse low res.jpg

I would definitely say shove ha'penny coins. It was standard to polish off the reverse to get a smooth and regular slide across the board. The fact you have 5 almost confirms the fact as 5 was the number of coins you had in a set to play.

They have been machined post-production - the 'workings' on the face of the smooth side are a dead giveaway.

Are you somewhere North of Watford? I ask because there used to be a Midlands variant of shove ha'penny that used a longer board with more divisions and, crucially, pennies instead of their smaller cousins/.

Thank you everyone for your responses. (No, from London, and have no idea where the coins came from.) Do they have any value or shall I just pop them back in the envelope with a note for my lucky offspring!

Probably the latter! As halfpennies, there would be a small market for them as some people still play the game. If they are indeed pennies, then they have virtually no value.

(If in doubt, check diameter - halfpenny around 25mm, penny just over 30mm.)