British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
evansuk2000

Has this coin been cleaned? 1935 Raised Edge Proof

Just a quick query, on the bottom left of the picture, does this look like the coin has been cleaned? Thank you in advance!

1935 Crown Proof.JPG

Going off the picture i dont think so ,just looks a bit dirty and toned.

• Like 1

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Going off the picture i dont think so ,just looks a bit dirty and toned. 

So the bit on the left under the horses foot doesn't look cleaned to you? thanks

Just now, evansuk2000 said:

So the bit on the left under the horses foot doesn't look cleaned to you? thanks

No those marks are consistent with other marks all over the coin.

Have you got the coin in hand ,what did the grading company say ?

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

No those marks are consistent with other marks all over the coin.

Have you got the coin in hand ,what did the grading company say ?

Hi, no I'm looking to buy it :) I can't get the NGC cert up yet I think they are doing maintenance 

14 minutes ago, evansuk2000 said:

Hi, no I'm looking to buy it :) I can't get the NGC cert up yet I think they are doing maintenance 

I think the lighter part at the top of the coin is just a reflection or something due to the photograph of the coin being in plastic.

If you not sure though dont buy it 👍

Pictures often look terrible taken in the plastic ,i have an 1856 penny in LCA and the pictures look nothing like the coin in hand.

Edited by PWA 1967

The patch between the horse's hoof and the dragon's head could be cleaning, but it's not clear from that picture.  What grade has NGC given it?

I agree it is possible that area had been wiped in the past. 

Can't be 100% certain, but from the appearance I'd say more probable than not, that it hasn't been cleaned.

Need a better pic.

I don't think I can be certain even with a better photo. One need to see if there are hairlines and what the luster is like in that area.

I would simply ask the seller and see what type of answer you get. Asking about a potential issue can't do any harm even if you want to buy afterwards. 

Impossible to make a determination from the image posted. Also, there is a noteworthy difference between cleaned and a coin conserved through a dip. Look for hairlines to establish a prior cleaning. It would help if the NGC grade was revealed

NGC grade on this one is PF63, the TPG are normally pretty liberal when dishing out the "cleaned" details designation so i would side with it having not been cleaned from that aspect. 

Its at a tempting price at £650, was on my watch list before i saw this post 

I have liberated and reduced the NGC photos.  I now don't think that it has been cleaned, although the toning doesn't look that appealing and there is what looks like a finger print in front of George's chin.

NGC5881203-004_OBV1.jpg

NGC5881203-004_REV1.jpg

Edited by Nick

I suspect that in-hand there are fine hairlines which limits the grade although I agree with the aesthetics comment. I have about 3 or four of these, one got in original 1935 silver proof set, and they seem to have these; so does the incuse edge proof. Very hard to get any without these...

Also, in looking at the KGV crowns including wreaths, it is IMHO that the evident marks on G's cheek are not post strike but rather the leftovers of what is not wonderful planchet prep (even the specimens and much rarer TRUE proofs show this).

doesn't look cleaned to me.