British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
celtic_coin

1696 sixpence (like Bull 1202) ngc ms65 Double Struck

Recently I acquired a unique 1696 sixpence from an auction house in UK. The coin is a 1696 sixpence (First Bust, early Harp variety), but the coin is significantly double struck. The coin is graded by ngc as MINT ERROR MS 65 DOUBLE STRUCK. I have seen double striking in 17th early milled coin, but very few of those error coins can survive in a real uncirculated condition. What is more, the degree of the double struck is significant. I am not sure if I can consider my coin as a new variety of 1696 sixpence, but this coin is definitely unique.

Here is the photo of my coin (the first taken by auction house, the second and the last by myself).

1696.jpg

1696_ob.jpg

1696_re.jpg

Edited by celtic_coin
  • Like 3