British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
graylin50

Henry III Double Struck Penny

• I attach images of a Henry III Long Cross Penny which I have attributed to Sp 1364 Class IIIc as there is no sceptre and the bust and the letter R appear to correspond to the illustrated guide produced by Christopher R Wren  (Voided Long Cross Coinage 1247-1279 - page 53).
    I have identified the following anomalies:

Obverse:

The legend appears to start past the initial mark at 12 o' clock as expected but with RICVS REX (although there could be litigated letters before the first letter R). There is a stop after the X of REX then the legend appears to repeat the name hENR (followed by III ?)The repeat of the name I have not come across.

Reverse:

The Moneyer is ION/ON/ and  what appears to be the name for York  ending in (E)OFER.

As I can find no similar reference to the exact Obverse legend I wonder if anyone can assist me. My first concern is that this may be a foreign imitation, alternatively this could be just a different legend from that usually recorded, as Class 3 has a considerable variety of lettering and portrait. I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can give me. 

graylin50

Sp 1364(3).jpg

I think it has rotated nearly 180 degrees between strikes because you have HENRICV starting at 6:30 and NRICVSREX starting just past 12 o'clock. N & R are ligated and I'd say pellet in oval eyes, but still 3c. I'm not 100% sure about the mint, but it does look like it could end in OFER - which would be York. ION is everywhere which is unhelpful..